[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 2-1 Ashford Town (Middx)
Middlesex side dispatched in Surrey Cup

Kingstonian's run through the Surrey Senior Cup continued with an impressive win against a side in the division above them.

With both sides fielding teams made up from their entire squads, it was regular starter Dean Lodge who scored the winning goal after Danny Summers clawed back a quick equaliser against Ashford Town (Middlesex).

Teammates congratulate Dean Lodge
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

The visitors drew first blood with Gavin Smith poaching a goal in the 10th minute past Luke Naughton, after Shane Graham broke down the left and crossed deep into the box.

However in less than two minutes Summers, starting rather than coming on as a second-half sub, picked up a cross from NJ Lampton with Lodge out-witting a crowded defence with a dummy. Summers unmarked then volleyed the ball into the back of the net.

Minutes after being denied the winner by the linesman for offside the home side made sure when Lodge blasted the ball through a crowded area from 25 yards out leaving 'keeper Paul McCarthy with very little chance to save as he dived unsighted to his left getting a hand to it.

Nick Rundell had set the goal up when his corner kick went to the unmarked Lodge, lurking out the area, rather than for one of the other strikers in the area.

And then a minute later Jon Coke nearly doubled the margin of victory when his volley went just wide.

It was however the visitors who began the game brightly enough with Anthony Joseph causing the defence all sorts of problems. First his cross in from the left, after charging up the pitch, failed to connect with anyone, either in defence and also, fortunately, in attack. Then in the 4th minute his shot was parried at close range by Naughton, who redirected it over the stand behind the goal.

Lodge then hit the outside of the near upright as he broke up the left with K's responding, but the impetus still lay with the Ryman Premier side and it was no surprise that they opened up the scoring, courtesy of Smith.

Dean Lodge hits the outside of the post
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

Hardly had either side time to settle when Summers equalised 90 seconds later.

Danny Summers in action
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

In the 18th minute Summers and Coke were denied by tight defending after another attack by Lodge. He had broken once more up the left and rounded past Brett Cooper before swinging the ball in from the byline.

Three minutes later another Lodge cross was headed away with Summers steaming in for another chance at goal. Then Lodge found Lampton's head from his free kick on the left and this time McCarthy was beaten and so was Lampton by the linesman flagging for an offside.

For Ashford it was only a temporary respite as in the 27th minute Lodge took matters into his hands and scored from outside the area.

And then Coke shot wide a minute later and in the 34th minute Lampton was once again beaten this time by 'keeper McCarthy whose diving save to the right kept the ball out after Lampton broke and outfoxed the defence.

Sensing the first half was coming to a close, Town hit back and Graham was denied by a point blank save from Naughton . Two minutes later Wayne Finnie interrupted an attack when Joseph found Byron Harrison.

The second half began with Summers heading just wide from a Wes Goggin pass and then Lodge missed a cross from Lampton before Goggin picked it up and his shot was well saved by McCarthy again.

Wes Goggin in action
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

Coke then had another chance when he charged down a back pass from Russell Canderton to McCarthy, but his shot cleared the crossbar easily.

The second half saw chances going begging to Simon Sobihy - from a header and then a shot which went wide - and then to Coke after Goggin turned defence into attack.

Monday 14th January 2008
(Walton Casuals A)
Martin Tyler interview
[WMA file - 7:39 - 1,839Kb]

Mon 14th Jan 2008
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Surrey Senior Cup 3rd round
Summers, Lodge
Ashford Town (Middx)1
1Luke Naughton
2David Suchy
3Nick Rundell
4Wayne Finnie
5Simon Sobihy
6Gavin Cartwright
7Neil Lampton
8Wes Goggin
9Danny SummersCautioned15
10Jon Coke12
11Dean Lodge
12Simon Huckle10
14Andrew Wylde
15Saheed Sankoh9
16Mark Watkins
17Luke Garrard
Match Report By
Michael Underwood