[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Walton Casuals 0-3 Kingstonian

Superior finishing saw Kingstonian cruise past Walton Casuals by three goals to nil. In a game of roughly equal chances, the scoreline arguably flattered them but they were impressively clinical in front of goal considering the fortnight's enforced break without a game.

The win puts K's into the quarter finals, where they will play one of those bastions of the Surrey community; either Ashford Town (Middlesex) or the Metropolitan Police.

K's first chance came in the very first minute, with Carl Wilson-Denis putting an Anthony Joseph cross over the crossbar. Craig Bradshaw saved well from Bobby Traynor in the tenth minute but after two resulting corners the visitors eventually grabbed the lead. Anthony Gale blocked a Max Hustwick header on the line but when the follow-up set piece was cleared only to Joseph, the K's winger beat Bradshaw with a deflected twenty-yarder.

Anthony Joseph celebrates his goal with teammates
Photo: Andy Nunn

The hosts, fighting relegation, were not going to give K's the easy ride that Chipstead did in the previous round though. Michael Cayford drew a save from Luke Naughton after a good team move, ex-K Luke Fontana came close and after saving a Gale free kick, Naughton and his defence somehow cleared the ball from the resultant scramble.

Luke Naughton clears the danger
Photo: Andy Nunn

K's had fashioned few chances in the first half but Casuals had failed to take theirs and a fine team move put the visitors two up on 33 minutes. Jamie Beer released Traynor down the right wing and his pinpoint low cross allowed Wilson-Denis to slide in and divert the ball in from close range.

Carl Wilson-Denis scores the second
Photo: Andy Nunn

Casuals continued to have chances, with Luke Roodenburg forcing Naughton save before the break and a twenty-yarder going narrowly over afterwards. K's were having more chances themselves though, with Traynor rounding Bradshaw only to run out of space. Dowson replaced his strikeforce, resting Traynor and Wilson-Denis in favour of Julien Thompson and Craig Mullen; the latter might have put the game beyond doubt on 70 minutes, but headed a Jamie Beer cross wide.

Naughton again saved well from Gale and Mullen forced Bradshaw into a save from an acute angle before Thomspon scored his first goal for the club to add to Walton's misery. Beer cut inside with a driving run and played the striker in on goal; Thompson held off his marker and beat Bradshaw with his left foot to put K's three to the good.

Julien Thompson scores the third
Photo: Andy Nunn

K's have generally used the midweeks cups to try out fringe players but having been two weeks without a game, this time they chose to play a much stronger team. Casuals were unfortunate to run into a good performance from K's which Dowson will now be hoping translate into the league.

Mon 12th Jan 2009
Franklyn Road
Surrey Senior Cup 3rd round
Walton Casuals0
Joseph, Wilson-Denis, J Thompson
1Luke Naughton
2Jason Turley
3Nick Rundell
4Wayne Finnie
5Max HustwickCautioned
6Liam Collins
7Jamie Beer
8Neil Lampton12
9Bobby Traynor14
10Carl Wilson-Denis16
11Anthony JosephCautioned
12Adam Thompson8
14Julien Thompson9
15Jon Coke
16Craig Mullen10
17Luke Garrard
Match Report By
Simon Grier