[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 2-3 Carshalton Athletic

A crowd of 468 were at Kingsmeadow on Sunday afternoon to see Kingstonian go down 3-2 to Carshalton, in an exciting, enjoyable and, at times, frantic match. Urgent and competitive play from both sides made for a real end-to-end game, where Kingstonian were unlucky not to pick up any points.

Carshalton Athletic took the lead in the thirteenth minute. A pass from the left found Laurent Hamici in the centre of the box, who battled his way through two challenges, before calmly slotting into the bottom corner. Kingstonian had started the brighter but this Robins' goal shifted momentum, with Carshalton enjoying slightly more of the ball for a spell after. The two returning K's players linked up well in the 22nd minute, when Lodge chipped a cross into Vines at the far post. Vines' header, however, fell just wide of the goal.

Just seven minutes later though, and Kingstonian were almost back in it. The ball fell to Tom Bird on the edge of the box, who tried an audacious chip. The keeper, perhaps caught slightly by surprise, had to back pedal quickly, but made his ground just in time to tip over the bar. Ks didn't have to wait long for their goal though, as they were level in the 35th minute. A corner from Bird found its way to Traynor on the edge of the box, who took one touch to control with his chest before unleashing a vicious half volley, rattling the crossbar. Gary MacDonald was the first to react and delightfully looped his header over the keeper's head and into the far corner, as the teams went in with the scores level at half time.

Only four minutes into the second half, Carshalton could have taken the lead. Debutant Tony Finn skipped past the defender and pulled the ball back to Dean Lodge on the edge of the box. Lodge took the shot first time, but the ball flew safely over the bar. Lodge will have been disappointed not to have hit the target.

Carshalton retook the lead in the 53rd minute, after Vines whipped in an excellent cross from right down by the corner flag on the right hand side, after seemingly having nowhere to go. Hamici then timed his jump to perfection and headed emphatically into the corner of the net, collecting his second goal of the game.

The lead was short-lived, however, with Kingstonian levelling the scores once again in the 57th minute. Kingstonian won a corner and Tom Bird's delivery was of equal class to Vines' just before it, as it found both the Kingstonian centre-backs queuing up at the back post. It was Gary MacDonald who got their first though, heading home powerfully to claim his second headed goal of the game.

K's were let off in the 64th minute after a Carshalton corner found Kieran Murphy, who's accurate header was cleared well off the line by Bird on the post. The ball was never properly cleared, however, and a cross from the right found Paul Vines on the penalty spot, who neatly headed home just inside the 65th minute. There was a question of offside but the linesman remained unmoved. The goal was given and Carshalton had taken the lead for the third time in the match.

The enthralling match continued and the chances kept coming, with a long free kick from Tolfrey reaching Tom Hutchinson just two minutes later. Hutchinson volleyed well and Nick Hamann could only parry, but Sam Clayton's despairing dive from the follow up was not enough to turn the ball home and the Robins' defence cleared.

With just five minutes remaining a long Kingstonian throw-in was flicked on at the near post, prompting an almighty goal mouth scramble. The ball just did not want to go in as Kingstonian had three shots blocked before the ball was eventually scrambled away.

The K's players never stopped and were so nearly rewarded in the 93rd minute, with two of the subs, Jason Henry and Mo Harkin linking up well. Henry played a chip cross into the box, before Harkin acrobatically managed to volley sweetly, despite the ball being behind him. The keeper was stranded but was saved by the woodwork, as the ball rallied back off the post.

That was to be the last of the action as the match finished in a 3-2 victory for the Robins. Kingstonian would have deserved at least a point from the game, but that is sometimes the way football goes. The performance and work rate from each and every player was superb and, on another day, the scoreline may well have been different.

Sun 13th Nov 2011
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Premier
MacDonald (2)
Carshalton Athletic3
1Rob Tolfrey
2Chris Page
3Neil Jenkins12
4Gary MacDonald
5Tom Hutchinson
6Simon Huckle
7Sam Clayton14
8Romone McCrae
9Bobby Traynor
10Bashiru Alimi
11Tom Bird
12Jason Henry3
14Mo Harkin7
15Ian Gayle
16Malaki Lumsden
17Jake Whincup
Match Report By
Sam Bryant