[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 5-3 Cobham

A week may well be a long time in politics, but it's also a fair while in football. Just think, last Tuesday K's are at Leyton Orient with travelling masses and a lot more there in spirit besides, and this week entertaining the likes of Cobham at home. Interestingly, Cobham didn't come out for the match, as they were already on the pitch, surely they are used to the concept of changing rooms?

Cobham, sporting black and white stripes, should have been no match for K's who are (at least) four leagues superior to them. And so it was that the game ensued. There was talk of "If we draw then Farralley's suspension will be for that match", but it was clear that K's really should dispose of the visitors promptly. The line up reflected this, with only Patterson and Corbett from the first team starting the game. Patterson was there to see how he could adapt to a defensive position, and Corbett was just there. Notable inclusions included Wayne Brown, Russel Watkinson - the youngster recently returned after some time away, and Ronaldo Dean Thomas. A fine substitutes bench was there as an insurance policy. Indeed, Chapple seemed to leave responsibilty of this game to Ian Mcdonald, as he knew the players better. Instead, Chapple wondered the ground and stood the opposite side of the dug-outs.

K's were clearly superior, even with their reserves on display, and it only took 20 minutes before the kindest of Christmas presents was given by visiting keeper Lanc. A weak shot by Simon Langley was heading towards the right direction, but most people had turned away expecting the keeper to merely pick up the ball. As the 'oohs' died out, the keeper proceeded to dive over the ball as he dived to his left. And that was that, K's 1 up.

A short stoppage followed as the linesman needed to be susbtituted, leading to calls for our very own Eagle to take his place. Unfortunately, the said potential official was no where to be seen, stuffing his face at the tea bar which, incidentally, saw Eddie Akuamoah serving the chips! After a little wait, K's went two up in the twenty-fifth minute. The ball arrived at the edge of the area and despite Thomas' best efforts to deny Corbett from getting to the ball, Corbett struck. On its way to the right hand corner it struck three people's boots before nestling in the net.. This seemed to upset Corbett and he couldn't even muster a smile upon his Cobham Cracker.

Carl Robinson for the visitors has as good a chance as anyone, but put a shot at a gaping open goal nearer the corner flag than the goal mouth. Soon after this Danny Smith cleared off the line and Jerome John did well saving at Robinson's feet. But Cobham's 'pressure' told just before the break when Robinson scored a suprisingly good goal. Receiving the ball on the left his shot was fiercly hit toward the bottom side of the opposite corner. And K's were only one goal to the good at half time.

As soon as the second half had commenced, Wayne Brown, recovered from his whiplash, found himself booked, which brought supporters attention to him and began an onslaught of 'Wayne Brown songs'. Russel Watkinson, also trying to look like Ronaldo, should really have been awarded a penalty after a great run produced a shot which was handled in the area. After this Thomas pulled a fine shot out of nothing and keeper Lanc redeemed himself for his earlier Yuletide spirit magnificently putting a Corbett strike over the bar. But full back Paul Thursting was still in the Christmas spirit ad did his best to gift K's another goal as he headed just wide of the post from a K's corner.

But fears of a replay were a real possibility with ten minutes to go when the visitors equalized. Harry Tilbury scored what was again a good goal. He also struck from the left firing to the right. This sounded alarm bells and the first team substitutes bagen to warm up. But they needn't have bothered. It wasn't long before Thomas put in from a couple of yards following a fine cross by Watkinson from the right. Immediateky after this, Andrew Sullivan got on the score sheet, and deservedly so. He beat a defender and carried the ball to the edge of the box before powering to the righ-hand corner. And at 4-2 the K's were cruising towards a meeting with Jamie Ndah and his Croydon team-mates next month.

But Cobham didn't want to give up. Harry Tilbury again scored for the visitors from close range and at 4-3 there were still fears of travelling to Leg O' Mutton Field in the near future. These fears were soon dispelled as K's were awarded a free-kick just outside the area and to the right of the D. Watkinson dummmied and Patterson produced as good a free-kick as you could wish to see. He chipped and curled the ball with his left foot flighting it over the wall and nestling in the right hand side of the net meaning the visitors entire defence could only watch in awe.

There was still time for Jerome John to get booked for handling outside the area, but K's were comfortable through and rarely needed to get out of first gear to see off their South Surrey counterparts. Simon Langley looks promising fir the future and Patterson's free-kick was worth the entrance money alone. 5 goals at home was fun to see though Jerome will feel unlucky to have conceeded three. The score-line is also particularly reminiscent of the score-line in this stage of the proceedings last season. It means that K's still hold their title of "Surrey's Number One Club" although Boxing Day may provide a sterner test.

Tue 22nd Dec 1998
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Surrey Senior Cup 1st round
Langley, Corbett, Thomas, Sullivan, Patterson
1Jerome JohnCautioned
2Danny Smith
3Akin Goksel
4Wayne BrownCautioned
5Russ Watkinson
6Scott Corbett
7Gary Patterson
8Simon Langley
9Andrew Sullivan
10Dean Thomas
11Gary Drewett
12David Leworthy
14Matt Crossley
15Geoff Pitcher
Man of the Match
Andrew Sullivan
Match Report By
Gary Ekins