[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 0-0 Leyton Orient

Sky had erected their village, sponsorship boards had appeared and the cheerleaders lost their seats as the nation's gaze fell upon Kingsmeadow for this FA Cup second round tie. Geoff Chapple preferred Dave Leworthy's experience to Gavin Holligan's enthusiasm as K's took the field with a full squad of fit players - with Kevin Rattray replacing the cup-tied Alex Willglass.

From the very first minute K's showed that the difference between third division and Conference is non-existent as Eddie Akuamoah fired a left foot shot wide and Chris MacKenzie in the Orient goal produced the first in a string of fine saves from a Mark Harris right footed shot. The players must have been inspired when they looked around the ground and saw 3,495 souls packed inside - how another thousand would ever fit in is a mystery.

Before ten minutes were up, the O's had produced what proved to be their best chance of the match. Wim Walsehaerts shot from the edge of the box with Steve Farrelly saving well down to his left. He couldn't hold the ball however, and just managed to divert the ball sideways before Carl Griffiths could pounce. The fact that this was the only time that Farrelly really had to exert himself suggests either that Orient were playing well below par or that it doesn't take much to go eleven matches unbeaten in the third division.

Although K's were certainly on top, there was never a sustained period of pressure in the first half when it seemed likely that a goal would come. Too often crosses were sent too deep, or the final ball wasn't quite right. After half an hour some people thought that referee Mr.M.Warren from Walsall should have awarded a penalty to the home side after a cross from Eddie struck Simon Clark's arm. But it wasn't given and the O's then took the ball up the other end. Farrelly, obviously bored by his lack of involvement in the game, decided to try to beat Amara Simba on the edge of his own box. He couldn't pick the ball up, so expertly played it against the forward's ankle to land the ball in his arms.

Dave Leworthy justified his selection ahead of Holligan by holding the ball up on many occasions to bring the midfielders into the game. Both Geoff Pitcher and Gary Patterson were having superb games, and it was the number eight's pass which set Eddie free on the left. He was another player who seemed to be inspired by the big occasion, and his cross was met by Leworthy at the near post, who just managed to shoot the wrong side of the post.

There were more shouts for a penalty just before the break - Mark Harris crossed from the right (a new tactic perhaps) towards Leworthy. Stuart Hicks, who had already been booked, climbed all over the striker's back to win the header, but the referee turned down the appeals. But just seconds later, Martin Ling performed the same trick on Pitcher, with the referee's nose almost getting in the way he was so close - but again he waved play on.

The second half started in much the same vein as the first had ended. K's were on the attack and appeared most likely to win this tie. Eddie won a corner in the first few seconds, Tarkan Mustafa shot straight at MacKenzie after Leworthy had won a tackle and Pitcher had a great chance after fine work by Eddie. The ball was played back to him on the edge of the box with a great chance to get in a shot. But he delayed for a second and was then closed down. He still managed to get in a strike at goal, which ended up hitting the stanchion, but the chance had gone.

Orient were limited to just two chances for the rest of the half - a free-kick from Morrison which almost cleared the netting behind the goal, and a cross from the right which was met by Ling with a weak finish. K's on the other hand were still producing great chances. Holligan's introduction on the hour certainly woke the crowd up, and he was straight into the action. He was set free on the left and, with three players screaming for a cross, decided to shoot from a tight angle. MacKenzie saved easily, but a cross would probably have been a better choice.

The television viewers weren't disappointed when the weekly brawl erupted on 77 minutes. A foul by Samba on Harris was followed up by the Frenchman attempting to behead the defender. With no guillotine in sight he used his foot instead, (much to Colin Luckett's chagrin) and both players were cautioned.

The two best chances for K's to enter the hat for the third round draw on their own were still to come. A free-kick from the right wing was sent to the far post. Matt Crossley won the header and the ball then fell to his feet. He somehow managed to stick out his big toe to send the ball looping over the goalkeeper. But MacKenzie was in no mood to be beaten and just got his fingers to the ball to give K's yet another corner. Just five minutes later, it was another case of "how didn't that go in ?" when Mustafa played Simon Stewart in on the right (definitely a new tactic this) to cross into the danger zone. Crossley was again in the right place, but could only deflect the ball onto the outside of the post, with Holligan sending the rebound over. From the resulting corner there was an almighty scramble, with Orient desperately clinging to their FA Cup lives. Both Stewart and Crossley (yet again) had shots blocked, the ball rolled towards Eddie on the penalty spot, but he slipped at the vital moment and the chance had gone.

Moments later the whistle went to end the big day. K's were certainly the better team, with Orient being limited to a couple of long range efforts and were unlucky not to have found the finishing touch on more than one occasion. The visitors obviously played below themselves and won't be allowed to produce such a dismal display in next week's replay, but they won't be particularly inspired by a potential visit to Southport in the next round. Yes, K's were in the third round hat for the first time ever, and it was only the width of a post and a fine performance by MacKenzie which made Graham Kelly say "or Leyton Orient".

Sun 6th Dec 1998
Kingsmeadow Stadium
FA Cup 2nd round
Leyton Orient0
1Steve Farrelly
2Tarkan Mustafa
3Colin Luckett
4Matt Crossley
5Simon Stewart
6Mark HarrisCautioned
7Gary Patterson
8Geoff Pitcher
9Kevin RattrayCautioned
10David Leworthy14
11Eddie Akuamoah
12Scott Corbett
13Jerome John
14Gavin Holligan10
15Danny Smith
16Wayne Brown
Man of the Match
Gary Patterson
Gary Patterson
Match Report By
Gary Ekins