[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 0-0 Yeovil Town

K's showed that last week's draw against Leyton Orient was no fluke by drawing with the same score-line against Yeovil. Another poor crowd, made up by a sizeable minority of Yeovil supporters, however, showed that the attendance figure was more of a fluke.

In fact, the best battle of the day occured when both the Kingstonian cheer leader and their West Country counterparts had a singing battle before the teams came out. Eventually the cheers of the school girls were overpowered by the jeers of the travelling fans directed at Gary Patterson, in retaliation for that tackle at Huish in the corresponding fixture in the early part of the season.

In the opening minutes Jamie Pitman (who was the player hacked down by Patterson in the said match), vented some frustration at the K's midfielder, but was punished with a booking for the challenge. From the resulting free-kick a period of head tennis in the Yeovil box fizzled out to nothing. Soon after this, ex-Woking player Kevan Brown was also booked for a foul on Akuamoah, and Patterson was soon to follow for what looked to be a rather innocuous challenge, but this pleased the travelling Yeovil fans.

Unfortunately, the actual football was less memorable. Steve Thompson took a free-kick from just outside of the area for the visitors, but Leworthy stuck out a foot and hooked it clear. Soon after this, some miscontrol from Rattray allowed Patmore a half-chance but the K's defence managed to hoof it clear somehow. In this spell of presuure, the best K's could offer was from a Pitcher run which took him to the edge of the penalty area, but it was Yeovil who looked the more threatening. Darren Keeling twice beat Matt Crossley, and put in a low cross which Simon Stewart put off for a corner. In the 39th minute, Keeling had the best opportunity of the half after having received the ball after Murray Fishlock had got behind the K's defence.

Although the play wasn't one sided, K's could rarely mount a thretening attack. Tarkan Mustafa was typically exciting on the right, but there was no-one to match his enthusiasm. Indeed, as the half drew to a close, a neat move linking Stott, Fishlock and Thompson ended in a credible shot from Brown.

K's started the second half in a much better frame of mind. Attacking the Kingston Road End, a corner was awarded from which Crossley won a great header, but quite rightly, Mr. Joe Ross blew up for a free-kick. Patmore soon looked dangerous at the other end, but again, play was pulled back, this time for an off-side.

Dave 'Lobster' Leworthy attempted an insane lob soon after this after receiving a ball which sat up nicely for him, and it was at this time that K's looked most promising. Pitcher went on a good run on the left, and used Leworthy by not using him, excellently dummying his defender and put in a cross-shot which affected the heart rate of all within the ground. Soon after this, K's won three corners in quick succession through good play from Akuamoah, Rattray and Luckett.

At the other end, the K's defence was tight and the few attacking moments of this half were halted by the back four, most notably a perfectly timed challenge from Stewart on the by-line. The nearest either team came to scoring was surely from Alew Willgrass. Patterson received the ball on the half way line, and brought it forward before passing it square to the K's substitute. Willgrass made a clean connection with the ball coming across him and his powerful shot from all of 25 yards missed the left upright by a foot, with the 'keeper stranded.

As the rain came down, the chances dried up and both teams seemd content simply not to lose. Holligan and Keeling both looked to have gone through but were both called back for being off-side, and neither keeper was seriously tested though Farrelly did well to catch a speedy cross from the left in such wet conditions.

So the score remained 0-0. Whether or not both teams had their minds on their respective FA Cup commitments is arguable, but neither team looked particuarly interested in this one.

Sat 12th Dec 1998
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Football Conference
Yeovil Town0
1Steve Farrelly
2Tarkan Mustafa
3Colin Luckett
4Matt Crossley
5Simon Stewart
6Mark Harris15
7Gary PattersonCautioned
8Geoff Pitcher
9Kevin Rattray
10David Leworthy14
11Eddie Akuamoah
12Wayne Brown
14Gavin Holligan10
15Alex Willgrass6
Man of the Match
Simon Stewart
Simon Stewart
Match Report By
Gary Ekins