[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Boston United 0-3 Kingstonian

It's a long way to Boston. A bit further than you might think, and its especially long on a midweek fixture arranged four days previously. And that's as good an excuse as was necessary to explain away why there were few Ks fans who made the trip. Yet the mentality was very different to that of Saturday's. For the winners of this match were guaranteed a match at Second Division outfit Luton Town. With Leworthy back in the side it looked better for Ks even if they were seemingly the underdogs on the night in Boston's superb York Street ground and in front of quite a number of fans.

Leworthy's re-inclusion in the team was the only difference from Saturday's starting eleven as Eddie remains limping. Boston made two changes, and even the ref was changed at the last minute. Boston started confidently. Early on there was little to pick between the two teams though Stanhope's deliveries led to a couple of speculative headed chances for the home team. Ks were certainly playing better than on Saturday, and that was evident in the first twenty or so minutes. A Pitcher cross won a corner and from this the midfielder fired a shot after receiving the ball from Leworthy which went through Rennie's legs. The keeper did well as he was surely unsighted. Phil Wingfield, getting better in every game, unleashed the cannon with a good curling shot which dipped below the bar and was a particularly good effort as Bastock, in the sticks, is quite a small lad. In return, Norris fired in a screamer which forced Farrelly to make a fantastic save eventually putting the ball off for a corner.

And then began the recently-all-too-familiar spell of Ks having good chances but not quite scoring. Mustafa and Marshall linked well on the right resulting in a cross which Wingfield was inches away from. But as if he'd score from a header... And minutes later Pitcher fed Winfield whose cross was touched on by Marshall and fell in front of Leworthy but at a very tight angle. But Dave did all that could be asked of him putting in a magnificent effort and forcing the keeper to make a good parry save.

That's not so say it was all one way traffic. Boston were attacking a lot and winning their fair share of corners in front of the Town End. But if we're talking in road system metaphors, then it was one of those junctions where the road narrows and one vehicle has priority over another. Mustafa made a tackle in the opponents' box and fed to Marshall who back-heeled into the path of Pitcher. Unfortunately Pitcher's control was just too good and he couldn't get the ball from out of his feet.

Just as one was wondering whether the deadlock would ever be broken (K's hadn't scored a goal in the equivalent of four matches playing time), one came from a curious source. Giftwrapped. Pitcher's cross from the left was whipped all too close to the keeper to cause any real problems. But somehow, under pressure from Marshall, he managed to fumble the ball and saw it bounce over the line. It was then cleared away and goal attempts were had, but the lino had given it, and the ref followed suit and K's were 1-0 up.

Shortly after this Marshall had a toe-poke kind of a shot, but Nuttell should have equalised with a low volley ten yards out. Farrelly again showing his England pedigree. The half ended and K's went in one up, and up for the cup.

Obviously, Boston were certainly looking for a goal to see them get back into the match. And the earlier the better. Two minutes after the break would have been ideal, and Hoyle nearly did this following a free kick on the right of the Ks box. His headed chance went across the goal, but no-one could finish it off. And then a bit of magic that showed Kingstonian's superior class. Patterson ran onto a bouncing ball and superbly controlled it with his chest and fed a pin point ball into the path of Leworthy. With Bastock advancing from his goal and with a defender in hot pursuit Leworthy took only one touch to perfectly, and I mean perfectly, lob the ball over the keeper and see it go just below the bar and to give K's a two goal cushion. Dave 'Lobster' Leworthy was back !!

Being 2 goals down Boston really had to push men forward. This tactic almost paid dividends when Boston's best player by far, Stanhope, fired in a powerful shot which Farrelly could only parry. Yet somehow he managed to get up and save the follow up putting it off for a corner. A truly magnificent bit of keeping, on a par with Leworthy's lob.

And still the Boston pressure continued. Rennie's shot would have beaten most but with Farrelly in form like this, nothing was going to beat him. Wingfield was looking good tonight. Curiously he was looking to get on the end of crosses more than making them. He almost got on the end of a Marshall cross, and minutes later looked to have scored when Mustafa was the deliverer. Wingfield's header was powered downwards, bounced, lobbed the keeper and hit the bar. 3-0 would have killed the game off, but as if Winger's would score with a header...

It was still a bit scary at the other end. Crossley and Harris were both either a)very confident in their abilities, b)very foolish, when they each headed back to Farrelly with opposition strikers prowling. Boston did manage to get the ball in the net when a cross from the right was touched in from a close distance. But the lino's flag had been up for some time and the effort was ruled off-side. Phew.

Time appeared to be running out for the home side. Childs' long shot was good, but just not good enough. As the players got frustrated they appeared to be going in very heavily on Ks players, most notably Farrelly. And then, when players were subsequently injured they performed the sin of not giving the ball back when a K's player had kicked it out so a team-mate could get attention. The play was end to end. But only in so much as both teams were hoofing it as much as possible. Ks to get rid of it, Boston to desperately seek a chance of getting back into the game. As gaps occurred in the Boston defence Ks looked to exploit them. Mustafa again almost fed Wingfield with a header, but as if... and Marshall squandered a very good chance when he followed up a fierce Pitcher shot and saw his effort go wide of the left upright.

But K's made sure of the win when Phil Wingfield scored with a header. Luckett's cross was put in by Wingfield but at the position from which the majority of K's fans were standing, it was hard to tell if it had gone in or not. After a couple of seconds Wingers raised one arm in the air, cueing the celebrations, laughter, and delight. And at 3-0 the game was truly killed off. In an attempt for K's fans to not be killed off as well, it fills me with pride to say that our fans simply walked away from the large hooligan element that came round to start trouble immediately after that goal. Amidst atrocious stewarding and poor policing it was good to see that thinking people win over mindless thugs and nothing went off. Well, nothing really.

The game ended with Ks fans somewhat subdued, but inwardly very happy to make it into the 1st Round Proper again and plans of how to get to Luton were discussed. Ks were the better team tonight. The 3-0 scoreline would have seemed a little unfair to the home fans, but it was a real joy to the Ks travelling 46. Ks players showed their class over lesser players and Ks fans showed their class over lesser supporters. And that is why Kingstonian FC is great. And that is why going to Luton is going to be a fantastic day out. As for Man United in the third round....

Wed 20th Oct 1999
York Street
FA Cup 4th qualifying round replay
Boston United0
OG, Leworthy, Wingfield
1Steve Farrelly
2Tarkan Mustafa
3Colin Luckett
4Matt Crossley
5Mark Harris
6Derek Allan
7Gary Patterson
8Geoff Pitcher
9Dwight Marshall
10David Leworthy
11Phil Wingfield
12Luke Basford
13Richard Hurst
14Junior Kadi
15Johnny Walker
16Danny Smith
Man of the Match
Steve Farrelly
Steve Farrelly
Match Report By
Gary Ekins