[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 0-1 Kidderminster Harriers

For the second week running, a side completed the double over K's in a role reversal which last year saw us take 12 points from the corresponding fixtures. K's never gave up the chase and deserved more out of this game, but now 12 points off the top and with just 4 points from the last nine Conference games it's hard to imagine League football at Kingsmeadow in 6 months time.

Kidderminster started the way you'd expect the league leaders to do so, chasing every ball and hassling the K's in possession. A sudden burst of pace took Hadley past Derek Allan before the centre back clumsily brought him down, earning himself a yellow card in the process.

On 5 minutes Eddie almost capitalised on a mix up between Hinton and the keeper Clarke after a through ball by Mustafa, but he was unable to control the ball and it ran out for a goal kick.

The first real chance fell on the quarter hour mark. Bennett, lively all game, waltzed down the left flank while the K's defence waited for a flag that didn't come. His square pass was screwed wide from about 8 yards when it looked easier to score than to miss and K's were let off the hook.

This seemed to wake K's up and five minutes later a Kiddie corner was cleared to Pitcher on the edge of the box who burst upfield releasing Eddie wide on the right flank, but unfortunately his cross was taken off the head of O'Connor for a corner.

This typified K's attacking movements of the first half. Mostly on the break and lacking a decisive ball to create a clean cut opportunity.

K's best chance of the half fell to Patterson who fired O'Connor's chip at a defender when well placed. The resulting corner almost saw the goal of the season by stand in skipper Stewart, the big centre back attempting an overhead kick as the ball came across a crowded penalty area. K's thought they had scored a minute later but the linesman adjudged the ball to have crossed the goal line before Phil Wingfield centred for Eddie to prod home from 6 yards.

Kiddie made a couple of chances before the end of the half, one forcing Farrelly to make a good save, but the half ended with K's again on the attack - Geoff Pitcher firing over after a good run by Wingfield.

The second half started brightly for the K's but on 50 minutes the game was decided. A weak header back to Farrelly by Stewart was picked up by Hadley and his square ball was forced home by Foster despite Farrely's best efforts.

K's tried immediately to get back into the game and came close on a number of occasions. Eddie had the ball taken off his feet by the keeper and Wingers scuffed a shot when well placed. A Geoff Pitcher chip was tipped over by Clarke and K's still couldn't find a way through.

K's chances started to become limited as the game wore on and Kiddie looked dangerous on the break, looking more likely to take the game's second goal. The introduction of Drewett and Basford for Wingers and Stewart wasn't enough to break down the visitors' defence and the game looked to be slipping away from the K's.

Late on, Kiddie should have extended their lead when they broke and found themselves in a three on one situation but Farrelly was on hand to make a great save.

The final whistle signalled the end of the game, and quite possibly the end of the title ambitions. But once more K's showed that they are as good as any of the sides challenging for promotion and with a little luck could well have taken something from this game.

Man of the Match: Eddie. Gave his all and never stopped working.

Sat 29th Jan 2000
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Football Conference
Kidderminster H1
1Steve Farrelly
2Tarkan Mustafa
3Robin Taylor
4Derek AllanCautioned
5Simon Stewart15
6Mark Harris
7Gary Patterson
8Geoff Pitcher
9Joe O'Connor
10Eddie Akuamoah
11Phil Wingfield14
12Mike Lester
13Richard Hurst
14Luke Basford11
15Gary Drewett5
Man of the Match
Eddie Akuamoah
Eddie Akuamoah
Match Report By
Gary Ekins