[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 1-0 Stevenage Borough

For the second Conference game running, the K's returned to their early season form which saw them top the league, as they beat a goal shy Boro team with a solitary Phil Wingfield strike.

K's started brightly with Colin Luckett hitting a long range effort just wide. Pitcher could have given K's the lead as early as the 7th minute, his goal bound left foot volley blocked by the foot of a Boro defender with the keeper beaten.

A vintage Eddie Akuamoah run down the left hand side set up Leworthy, but his header was pushed behind for a corner. Wingers' corner was only partially cleared and Pitcher fired wide through a crowded penalty box.

K's were controlling the game but were being restricted to long shots as the Boro defence employed their well organised but very frustrating offside trap time and time again. Just before the break Matt Crossley and then Tarkan Mustafa both went close, but not close enough from K's point of view.

We had to wait until the first minute of the second half for Boro to register their first shot of the game, a left foot drive not causing too much concern for Farrelly as it sailed wide of the goal.

After 50 minutes Chapple, perhaps sensing that Boro were holding out for a point, introduced Robin Taylor for Derek Allan, allowing Colin Luckett to move into midfield. The result paid dividends just 9 minutes later when, after some good build up play, Tarkan cut inside on the edge of the box and sent a dipping left foot shot towards the top corner of the goal. The keeper did well to tip his effort onto the bar, but was helpless to prevent Phil Wingfield's follow up hitting the back of the net.

K's continued to come forward looking for a second goal to kill the game off. Pitcher and Leworthy both had good efforts blocked and Eddie was very unlucky not to extend his side's lead hitting the post after a Super Dummy Spin* had taken Wingers past his man and set up Eddie for his chance.

The tiring Leworthy was replaced by Lee Boylan, back again on loan following a successful spell at Exeter earlier this season. With just a few minutes on the clock Patterson picked up his second booking of the game following a mistimed tackle, his first having arrived on the half hour mark for pulling a defender back.

This marked Boro's only spell of domination. Their No.4 fire a shot just wide, but it still took a K's player to create their best chance, Matt Crossley slicing a clearance just over the K's bar. Unfortunately for Boro it was far too little too late and had they snatched a goal it would have been a great injustice.

K's played more consistently for the 90 minutes than they had on the previous Saturday against Sutton, although they didn't create as many clear cut chances. However they stuck at the task as they did last week and were eventually rewarded with a goal and three points for their efforts. Let's hope we can carry on the form for the big cup game coming up. (Leatherhaead away of course.)

Man of the Match Wingfield. Caused problems all night down the left flank and scored the winning goal. And for narrowly losing out against Sutton!

* Thanks to Ollie

Wed 16th Feb 2000
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Football Conference
Stevenage Borough0
1Steve Farrelly
2Tarkan Mustafa
3Colin Luckett
4Matt Crossley
5Simon Stewart
6Derek Allan14
7Gary PattersonSent Off
8Geoff Pitcher
9Eddie Akuamoah
10David Leworthy16
11Phil Wingfield
12Joe O'Connor
13Richard Hurst
14Robin Taylor6
15Gordon Barr
16Lee Boylan10
Man of the Match
Phil Wingfield
Phil Wingfield
Match Report By
Gary Ekins