[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 4-2 Sutton United

A dazzling second half display from the K's sent Surreys third (but only just) team to the bottom of the table. A 2-1 half time deficit was overturned by three second half strikes to give K's only their second win of the year.

It looked so different at half time. K's dominance undermined by schoolboy errors at the back, which Sutton took full advantage of. After just three minutes K's found themselves behind. A simple shout from Steve Farrelly would have prevented Derek Allan intercepting an innocuous looking cross. No shout appeared and Allan handed Winston a chance too good to miss despite Allan's best efforts on the line.

It looked like being Woking all over again, but K's were level just two minutes later with their first attack of the game. Eddie controlled a long ball on the edge of the box before laying it off for Tarkan to centre. His deep cross was met by the diving head of Wingfield, and via the crossbar K's were level.

K's were starting to play with some confidence now, Geoff Pitcher running things from midfield. It was from his cross that Leworthy could have put K's ahead, only the fingertips of Gareth Morgan preventing the veteran striker. Leworthy was unlucky again soon after, another header sent wide of the target after some good build up play.

On the half hour Sutton regained their lead, again thanks to a lack of communication from the defence. A poor pass from Matt Crossley allowed Sutton to feed the ball through. Neither Farrelly or Stewart wanted to take responsibility for a straight forward through ball and Sammy Winston nipped in to put Sutton back in front. His goal celebration of running past the K's fans with a hand cupped to his ear would have been better directed to the other end at his own fans who were virtually silent for the whole game.

K's started the second half no doubt with their ears still ringing from Chapple's half time team talk. They were on the attack from the first whistle and a fine run from Pitcher ended with his shot deflected for a corner. Pitcher's cross found an unmarked Matt Crossley who headed home from six yards and K's were level once more.

K's started to dominate proceedings with Pitcher and Patterson controlling the midfield. Tarkan Mustafa shot wide before Leworthy was handed the best chance he's likely to get all season. Patterson layed the ball back from the touchline, but for once the veteran striker's touch let him down and the ball went out for a goal kick when only the keeper stood in the way of a third K's goal.

Soon after Pitcher was put through on goal by Eddie but he couldn't keep his shot down. Wingers forced a fine save from Morgan with a fierce right foot drive before Tarkan Mustafa embarked on a trademark run down the right wing. His one-two with Pitcher saw him clear through on goal but he put his shot wide and it looked like K's wouldn't get the reward for their second half endeavours.

Following yet another K's corner the ball was forced out to the edge of the box. Simon Stewart went past Paul Harford before the visitors No.8 cynically took him out. This warranted a second yellow card in the referee's opinion and he was off. Pitcher couldn't take advantage from the free kick, firing his shot straight at the wall.

Simon Stewart was involved again when his left foot volley was blocked on the line with the keeper stranded. K's thought they had finally gained the lead 15 minutes from time when Leworthy rose to head home Phil Wingfield's cross but the referee disallowed the goal for a push.

To their credit, K's continued to press and didn't allow their heads to drop despite the apparent desertion of Lady Luck. Five minutes from time K's finally took the lead, Leworthy claiming the final touch following a Pitcher corner.

Two minutes later the points were safe. Sutton were caught on the break and Pitcher's pass found Wingfield through on goal. There were three players Pitcher could have chosen, with the Sutton defence caught way up field. His selection of recipient was endorsed by Wingfield's superb finish, slotting home low in the corner of the net. I wonder if Sammy Winston was able to hear the K's faithful now? I would think so.

K's 4-2 victory flattered the visitors and Sutton were beaten for the first ever time in a league game at Kingsmeadow. On this evidence Sutton will do well to survive their first season in the Conference, especially considering that K's are hardly on the best of form at the moment but still managed to carve them apart time and time again.

As Sutton and Woking continue to struggle let's hope we can use this as a halt to our awful league form of late, and hit form just in time for a sustained trophy run again.

Man of the Match: Pitcher. Completely dictated the match, supporting the front two on numerous occasions as well as his fair share of defensive duties.

Sat 12th Feb 2000
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Football Conference
Wingfield (2), Crossley, Leworthy
Sutton United2
1Steve Farrelly
2Tarkan Mustafa
3Colin Luckett
4Matt Crossley
5Simon Stewart
6Derek AllanCautioned
7Gary Patterson14
8Geoff Pitcher
9Eddie Akuamoah
10David Leworthy12
11Phil Wingfield
12Joe O'Connor10
13Richard Hurst
14Robin Taylor7
15Gordon Barr
16Simon Langley
Man of the Match
Geoff Pitcher
Geoff Pitcher
Match Report By
Gary Ekins