[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Wealdstone 0-5 Kingstonian

It's over two years since K's lost an FA Trophy game, and they continued that happy run with a very good display at Edgware's ground at the very end of the Northern Line. Tenants Wealdstone did their best in what some had billed as their biggest game since they won the trophy back in 1985, but in the end the cream rose to the top, so to speak, and the holders progressed to round 4. The starting team was the same as last week's victors, with Matt Crossley still seated on the bench.

As was probably expected it was the home side who started off best, with Paul McKay (a name to remember) having an early shot saved by Farrelly's feet at the near post. Yet last week's four goals seemed to have given the K's side the confidence needed to go and attack their opponents, and after the good early start, Wealdstone's job became a defensive one more and more as the game drew on. Leworthy (who still hasn't scored since Luton) had a shot deflected early on, which was followed by a Mark Harris header which was easily caught by Noel Imber in goal. Basford shot wide before McKay caused Farrelly some grief with a shot from the right. But not as much grief as when Farrelly kicked out against Simon Stewart's ankles and turned to see the ball trickling towards his own line. Luckily Stewart was quick enough to turn the ball aside to prevent what would have been a hugely embarrassing own goal.

Towards the end of the half was where the game changed completely. Mustafa hit a shot from the edge of the box, it deflected off Phil Dicker's back, yet the goalkeeper still made a quite superb save low to his left. Moments later K's hit the woodwork with another Mustafa shot, which clipped the top of the bar. The pressure was building and it was only a matter of time until K's led. A through ball from Eddie Akuamoah, who was subsequently fouled in the centre circle, reached Phil Wingfield, who had an almost clear run on goal. His control wasn't the best but somehow he managed to scoop the ball past the goalkeeper into the bottom left corner to give K's the lead.

Just after, Tarkan proved his own selfishness when he was set free on the right by Leworthy. Eddie was in support in the middle and Tarkan's angle was a tough one. A pass into the middle would have seen Eddie score, but Tarkan went for glory and managed only to win a corner. Yet from the corner K's indirectly went two up. Pitcher took it and aimed at the far post. Derek Allan headed goalwards but misjudged slightly as the ball was going just wide. Simon Stewart changed that with a shot from all of a yard, but the ball didn't go in as it struck Paul McKay's hand. The fact that the defender was standing next to the post, just a yard away from the shot, didn't seem to bother the linesman, Mr A King (honestly), who immediately gave a penalty. After consultations with referee Mr B.D.Baker McKay received the red card, Pitcher placed the ball on the spot, sent Imber the wrong way and put K's two up.

Even though Wealdstone still tried in the second half, the game had really been lost for them at this point. Debates will rage for, ooh, a couple of hours more probably, but the decision was made. McKay's hand stopped a certain goal and it would have been slightly annoying for those hooped ones if he had stayed on the pitch. But then there is no way that he intentionally stopped the goal, so should have stayed on. Not that we complained.....

K's started the second half with a huge spell of pressure, which lasted almost the whole 45 minutes. Pitcher went close with an overhead kick after a brilliant run by Eddie, but Dicker cleared from the line, immediately followed by a Leworthy header which went just wide. There were lots more chances, and even one for Wealdstone when Jones shot wide, before K's scored the decisive third. Patterson hit a woeful left footed shot towards goal, except that it was going about 20 yards wide. Pitcher managed to keep it in on the left and crossed to Eddie at the far post who steered home a simple goal.

A triple substitution saw the re-appearance of skipper Crossley and Robin Taylor, as well as Joe O'Connor, who could do with an easy game to get off the mark. And so it came about. He (O'Connor) wasted one chance after great Akuamoah work on the right, before he scored his first competitive goal for K's. The final shot came from about 6 yards, and followed about 6 others as a scramble in front of goal finally ended with the fourth. By this time the game was clearly won and K's were attempting to get back to their Brazil exploits of earlier in the season. But it was a bit difficult on that pitch.

The fifth goal came from another sub, this time Robin Taylor, who was set up by O'Connor, and the day's work was over. Some pessimists had said that this was a potential banana skin for K's, but they proved their adeptness at side stepping that particular fruit yet again. And so into round 4, with a clean sheet in the trophy, and with the team looking to be back into some form. And as everybody knows, last time we scored 5 in round 3, we ended up at Wembley.

Sat 15th Jan 2000
White Lion (Edgware Town FC)
FA Trophy 3rd round
Wingfield, Pitcher (pen), Akuamoah, O'Connor, Taylor
1Steve Farrelly
2Tarkan Mustafa
3Luke Basford
4Derek Allan
5Simon Stewart
6Mark Harris16
7Gary PattersonCautioned14
8Geoff Pitcher
9Eddie Akuamoah
10David Leworthy12
11Phil Wingfield
12Joe O'Connor10
13Richard Hurst
14Robin Taylor7
15Gary Drewett
16Matt Crossley6
Man of the Match
Tarkan Mustafa
Tarkan Mustafa
Match Report By
Gary Ekins