[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 0-2 Woking

The match that clearly should have been the final of this prestigious competition was instead played out as a semi-final, with the winners being almost certain to go on to lift the Surrey Senior Cup. After last year's upset - when K's lost to Carshalton in a replay at this stage - hopes were high that the trophy could be won for the second time in Chapple's reign. Alas it was not to be, as Woking's new boss Colin Lippiatt masterminded the second win for Surrey's "other" relegation candidates in a row.

The K's team had an unusual look: Tom Bryson - a regular reserve midfielder - was making his debut at right-back (ending Tarkan's 100% record for the season) and Junior Kadi making his first appearance since December 18th. O'Connor was given another chance up front, but did little to excite the 463 crowd.

To say that this match was incident packed would be like saying that Kingsmeadow will meet the Football League April 1st deadline - i.e. wholly incorrect. Phil Wingfield should have set up Eddie Akuamoah for the opener after fifteen minutes when he was set free on the left. Instead of setting up Eddie in front of the open goal he shot himself and smashed the ball into the side netting. And for some reason Pitcher yelled at Eddie!

Eddie went on a good run just after, when he rounded three people, seeing his shot saved by Batty. The ball was spilled to Pitcher, but the goalkeeper did well to recover. Danny Bolt headed just wide of his own goal, but then sent a left-sided free-kick into the K's box and saw Perkins' header well saved by Farrelly for a corner.

Perkins then hit the top of the bar with a 25-yarder and then Woking opened the scoring. Bolt crossed from the left, the K's defence had gone walkabout, Simpson controlled and scored low to Farrelly's left. The roar was, well, subdued. Amazingly, even less happened in the second half, with K's throwing in the towel after 20 minutes by sending on all 3 subs - meaning a debut for Ronald Green.

Perkins set up Panter for a shot when he headed across goal, but he really should have gone for goal himself. Panter missed. Wingfield went close with a header of his own before the lead was doubled. A long punt out was headed on (helpfully) by Derek Allan, Panter nipped in and scored under the body of Farrelly. Just two minutes later the lead almost became three when Bolt shot over from long range.

Green had one good run on the right and set up O'Connor to pull one back. The header came from four yards out, but somehow O'Connor still managed to find the keeper's arms. The fact that he was offside merely saved some of his embarrassment. The last chance for K's was from a Pitcher free-kick, when Allan, O'Connor and Basford closed down Batty, but nobody got the touch.

And so Woking won two-nil. The record against Woking this season? Played 4, won 1, drew 1, lost 2. Oh well. We're still in the Trophy - they're not. We're going to Wembley - they're not. We're staying up - they're not. We've got Chapple - they've not. What? Next season? Well of course he'll still be here.....

Tue 7th Mar 2000
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Surrey Senior Cup Semi final
1Steve Farrelly
2Tom Bryson12
3Colin Luckett
4Matt Crossley14
5Derek Allan
6Mark Harris15
7Junior Kadi
8Geoff Pitcher
9Joe O'Connor
10Eddie Akuamoah
11Phil Wingfield
12Ronnie Green2
14Mike Lester4
15Luke Basford6
Man of the Match
Derek Allan
Derek Allan
Match Report By
Gary Ekins