[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 1-0 Northwich Victoria

Kingstonian overcame negative tactics and appalling refereeing to claim all three points courtesy of a last minute Colin Luckett penalty.

Northwich arrived with no greater ambition than just the solitary point and almost achieved their aim as they frustrated the more attacking minded K's. Trophy hero Amara Simba was included in the starting line up and had the best chance of the first half when his superb header was pushed away by the Vics keeper.

Eddie was looking lively playing in his new midfield role behind the front two and was involved in the move which saw Pitcher almost break the deadlock - the Vics keeper again proving equal to the effort.

Northwich almost stole a goal themselves just before the half time break, hitting the crossbar after Hurst flapped at a high cross. There was still time for Mark Harris, new club captain, to earn himself a booking for a rash challenge - tempers were starting to flare but this was nothing compared to the drama that would follow in the second period.

Chapples half time team talk seemed to get them going, a more aggressive, positive K's team taking the field for the second half. However the flow was interrupted when playmaker Geoff Pitcher left the field on a stretcher, although he was able to walk unaided back to the dressing room which must be a good sign.

Two potential scoring opportunities were spurned because of poor control, first Simba and then Winston uncharacteristically miscontrolling the ball and the chances came and went. Mark Harris went agonisingly close when his header form six yards bounced clear of the bar, and it appeared this would not be K's day.

With 89 minutes on the clock the referee spotted a handball in the box, as a corner swung across and a penalty was the result. The Vics players surrounded the referee, and held up the game for a number of minutes. The Northwich number 2 was adjudged to be the most vociferous in his complaints and earnt himself a second yellow card. Amazingly the protests continued and the culmination of weak refereeing all afternoon had finally come to the boil.

Colin Luckett, quietly waiting while all this was going on, held his nerve despite the gamesmanship which was on show from the visitors, and calmly slotted home the spotkick before not so calmly celebrating it with the Kingston Road end faithful!

So the first three points of the season were wrapped up, and once the whistle had gone the protests continued, and it looked as though as second red card may have been issued.

K's did well to continue knocking at the door and eventually found an opening. The side didn't perform to its full potential, but fortunately the opponents were only Northwich, and not a side who could capitalise on our own poor showing.

Sat 19th Aug 2000
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Football Conference
Luckett (pen)
Northwich Victoria0
1Richard Hurst
2Mark Beard
3Colin Luckett
4Mark HarrisCautioned
5Simon Stewart
6Eddie Saunders
7David BassCautioned
8Geoff Pitcher12
9Sammy Winston
10Amara Simba13
11Eddie Akuamoah
12Junior Kadi8
13Ronnie Green10
14Derek Allan
15Gary Drewett
16Luke Basford
Man of the Match
Colin Luckett
Colin Luckett
Match Report By
Gary Ekins