[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Boreham Wood 2-1 Kingstonian

Returning to Broughinge Road a couple of months after being dumped out of the FA Cup was a Kingstonian side seeking to end a season-long string of disappointing away results. Those not returning to the ground were the home contingent from the 650-strong crowd last time round, leaving K's fans the amount of terrace space better afforded only by local tenants Enfield.

The team taking the field was somewhat changed to the one that enjoyed a comfortable win in the FA Trophy at the weekend, though Lance Key returned to goal and the back line was missing both Peter Barnsby and Matt Flitter. Julian Sills took charge of a three-man defence, with Craig Rocastle the addition to an otherwise regular midfield and attacking line-up. Facing them was a Boreham Wood side featuring a range of man-mountains, led by defensive stalwarts Gary Wotton and Lee Harvey.

The action was slow to start, yet Tim Sills, on a fine run of goalscoring form, created an opening out of nothing when he spun and struck an effort from outside the box that had 'keeper Noel Imber rooted to his spot. Clipping the outside of the post, the ball flew wide and the goalscoring threat moved to the other end of the field. Adam Parker headed over from a good position and Marvin Walker's cross following a flying run shot dangerously across goal. Wood captain Wotton, up for a corner, blasted a shot destined for the top of Lance Key's net, but with 'keeper and defence lunging desperately to block the strike, it was one of Wotton's own team-mates who ultimately got the block on the ball. Brian Jones' deep cross from the right found Walker in space at the back post, but his effort flew harmlessly over the goal.

It was midway through the half before the danger moved back to the other end of the field, where Tim Sills had initially threatened. It was Sills himself who started this move with a flick and when James Pinnock crossed back to him, Sills' spectacular mid-air effort almost came off. The two frontmen interchanged with Liam Collins down the right for the next attack, and it was a charging Craig Lewington who sent in a whipped cross to the far post where only a good defensive header by Dominic Grime prevented the opening goal of the game being scored. The final move of the half saw a race between Sills and home 'keeper Imber to each a Dave Clarke ball. The K's striker won but he and the ball were quickly cleared off target by the Wood challengers.

The second half started with an immediate threat to Lance Key's goal as Jeran Meah pounced upon a Max Hustwick error to charge in on goal, but the midfielder was unable to fully maximise his opportunity and saw his shot comfortably gathered by Key. Up at the other end, Harvey and Sills tangled when going for the ball in the box, but it was called an even battle and the game continued.

The best opportunity so far came when Collins cut a tempting ball across the area from the right, bypassing a stranded Imber, only for Harvey to get to the ball just before Wingfield to make the clearance. With the action increasing, a long Wood corner fell to an unmarked Parker whose powerful strike could only find the side-netting.

With about twenty minutes remaining, a Marc Leach error let in Collins on the right who whipped in a low which was turned into the back of the net by Dominic Grime as he tussled to get in front of K's substitute Mark Jones at the far post. Minutes later Jones was involved again, this time sending an inviting ball across the face of goal, though Phil Wingfield couldn't quite stretch enough to get the elusive touch and James Pinnock, picking up the ball on the other side, was unable to turn it in from a tight angle.

The game now seemingly in control for K's, some loose defending exposed Lance Key's goal and allowed a low strike on target which well saved by the 'keeper, but the rebound fell kindly for Wood top scorer Gary Dixon at the far post. The knock-in was simple and the scores were level.

With all subs used, K's were dealt a moment of concern when Key took a heavy knock after coming out to smother the danger with little more than five minutes of the game left. Recovered from the injury, Key was left helpless as the clock ticked down and a Jeran Meah shot from outside the box clipped a defender and sailed into the top corner to give the home what would surely now be a victory. Ronnie Green, briefly back with the club, broke free on the right and fired a last-ditch effort on target only for Imber to tip over well. The threat, and game, came to an end and once more it was Wood who had taken the spoils.

Mon 2nd Dec 2002
Broughinge Road
Isthmian League Premier
Boreham Wood2
1Lance Key
2Max Hustwick
3Sean Thurgood
4Craig Lewington12
5Craig Rocastle15
6Julian Sills
7Liam Collins
8Dave Clarke
9Tim Sills
10James Pinnock
11Phil Wingfield16
12Mark Jones4
13Adrian Jones
14Neil Lampton
15Bashiru Alimi5
16Ronnie Green11
Man of the Match
James Pinnock
James Pinnock
Match Report By
Ali Kazemi