[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Chertsey Town 1-0 Kingstonian

A 'Kingstonian XI' side was sent along to Alwyns Lane, Chertsey to meet the Ryman One South side. Matthew Sargeant was handed his first start for the club in goal, and had protection from the slightly more experienced Liam Garman and Shaun Thurgood in front of him. Matt Elverson, captaining the side, certainly added experience. Tim Sills returned from his break and Mark Royal completed those who have represented the club in senior competition.

The game started brightly for the K's side, coached by Barry Sargeant on the night. Sills broke through after ten minutes though saw his low shot well blocked by the home 'keeper Paul Seuke's legs. Five minutes later, and from the other side, Sills unleashed a strike that Seuke turned over. Chertsey fired back a reminder, however, as first Sargeant was called upon to save well to his right, and then Jamie Crowe fired an effort against the crossbar.

The Kingstonian team, although showing positive attacking signs, somewhat lost it's momentum and it was Sargeant's goal that was most under threat. The youngster showed his potential with some good saves and an air of confidence, deservedly going into the break with his goal intact.

With the first half fading out, half time came at a good time for both sides. With the regulars away training, the usual flurry of pre-season substitutions did not come, with the only change being the introduction of Carl Dennis.

The first attack of the second period saw David Ocquaye in a good position to latch onto a throughball, only to be foiled by the lineman's flag, raised when the offside Sills took the ball from him. At the other end Matt Elverson was called upon to lunge in with a saving tackle on fast breaking striker John Pomroy. Shaun Thurgood made his own telling contribution soon after with a driven punt upfield, finding Tim Sills after a defensive error on the way. As sills bore down on goal, one expected the classy frontman to lift the ball over the 'keeper into the net. However, it was not a night of finishing for the usually classy frontman as he struck well wide of the target before sending the ball almost out the county in frustration.

Midway through the half came a flurry of attacking opportunity, as Sills, Ocquaye and Phil Donaldson saw their consecutive efforts saved, smothered and held by Seuke. Ocquaye was again denied minutes later. On the hour mark, Liam Garman overzealously chased a lost ball and swung only at his opponent's shins. The referee chose it fitting to produce the first yellow card of our pre-season friendlies (including the physical affair against Carshalton). Garman was soon caught out of position, but relieved to see his opposite number strike fiercely against the angle of the goal from an acute angle.

The talking point of the night came with five minutes to go as Abby Nsubeau chopped down Garman with a dangerous sliding tackle just after a free kick had been called in his side's favour. Not contempt with his effort, Nsubeau remained in position aggressively, ready to take on all-comers. And indeed, all they did come - bar Sargeant, who strategically examined the turf in his six-yard box. Garman rose to his feet and through the crowd managed to throw a headbutt at his offender.

The referee, who until then was passively watching, eventually decided things were out of hand and dismissed Garman with a straight red card. Nsubeau's booking was almost insufficient to keep to Chertsey's poor disciplinary record of recent times. The Kingstonian side was in a mess following the incident and almost inevitably conceded following a goalmouth scramble where John Pomroy's header was finished by Warren Burton. The remaining minutes were sacrificed by the referee, apparently keen to return to his Woking base. An unfortunate finish to the game really.

Tue 6th Aug 2002
Alwyns Lane
Not available
Chertsey Town1
Match Report By
Ali Kazemi