[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Chesham United 0-4 Kingstonian

Kingstonian travelled to Meadow Park this afternoon and came up against two men who helped orchestrate our two Trophy wins, the latter less than three years ago. Colin Lippiatt and Clive Howse are currently the managerial team at Chesham who sat precariously above the relegation zone before kick off.

Meadow Park

And any hope they had of taking a step closer to Ryman Premier League security were quashed by a blistering K's start in the first quarter of an hour of the game.

Before many fans had taken their positions, Scott Steele sent over a deep cross which Tim Sills met. His header (below) bounced up onto the underside of the bar and as the covering defender got his bearings the ball came back down and was prevented from crossing the goal line by his hand. The referee viewed his intervention as not deliberate, evaluating that a penalty was sufficient punishment, and Sills converted with a little luck - the ball squirming under the keeper's body.

The bloke on the right is about to do something silly

Inside twelve minutes K's had doubled their lead. A free kick out on the right was floated over by Steele where it was met with a powerful Chris Whelan header. The keeper, again unlucky, managed to push it onto the underside of the bar but the ball dropped over the goal line and K's were two-up and cruising.

The visitors survived what looked like a strong claim for a penalty from the home side but K's were looking the more comfortable side - Steele unlucky to see his shot beaten away by the keeper after excellent work from Liam Collins and Grant Payne.

A minute before half time the points were all but wrapped up when a sublime cross field pass from Whelan found Payne in acres of space. His perfectly weighted slide rule pass sent Sills clear and two touches later the ball nestled in the back of the net for his second and K's third.

The bloke on the right is about to do something

The second half started very much where the first had left off, Payne and James Pinnock both having shots well blocked before Chesham's only clear sight of goal was well fielded by Lance Key.

Payne was a constant thorn in Chesham's defence and was unlucky to see his toe poked effort pushed aside by the keeper after some great close control and a turn saw him beat his marker with ease.

The keeper did well to deny Sills his hat trick and was relieved when the K's centre forward was substituted midway through the second half, to be replaced by Scott Edgar.

That relief didn't last for long however. With just over ten minutes left on the clock a deep Steele corner found Edgar unmarked to head home K's fourth goal (below), and seal an impressive display from the visitors.

The bloke on the right is about to do something good

K's move up to eighth but as for Chesham, their survival hangs in the balance. Just four points clear of local rivals Aylesbury, but the FA Trophy semi finalists have played two games less than the Meadow Park outfit.

Sat 29th Mar 2003
Meadow Park
Isthmian League Premier
Chesham United0
Sills (2), Whelan, Edgar
1Lance Key
2Max Hustwick
3Mark Jones
4James Pinnock16
5Chris Whelan
6Peter Barnsby
7Dave Clarke14
8Liam Collins
9Tim Sills15
10Grant Payne
11Scott Steele
12Craig Lewington
13Adrian Jones
14Phil Wingfield7
15Scott Edgar9
16Bashiru Alimi4
Man of the Match
Scott Steele
Scott Steele
Match Report By
Simon Murray