[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 3-0 Worthing

Already further in the tournament than last season having despatched Slough Town in the previous round, K's entertained Ryman One South side Worthing at Kingsmeadow in front of a sparse crowd.

Lance Key returned in goal, having been replaced by Adrian Jones at Slough, whilst Matt Flitter made a welcome return from injury to fit into a back three. New recruit from Millwall Leke Odunsi made his first appearance in midfield, and NJ Lampton was chosen to partner Tim Sills up front.

Catching out most in the ground, and almost Worthing 'keeper Matthew May too, the first chance of the game saw a header attributed to Phil Wingfield fly just wide of the target. At the other end, Lance Key was called upon to save low before seeing the next attack on his goal result only in Richard Lewis' shot clearing the target. May was called into action to repel a Liam Collins cross destined for the head of Tim Sills at the far post, and Collins almost set Odunsi up for a short strike at goal following a Wingfield cross from the other flank. It was not long, however, before Odunsi had sight of goal as latching onto a square ball from a short corner, he saw his drive held by May.

Worthing midfielder Ben Carrington, shirt number hidden, was no doubt an unmistakable character - his number seven comprehensively covered by his super-length hair. His game was equally unmistakable too, with no teammate able to run at the Kingstonian defence like he. Sean Thurgood had difficulty covering the player without the need for an offence, though Carrington did escape to whip in a cross midway through the half which needed clearing by Collins from a dangerous position near the far post.

May, having previously saved from Odunsi and later a curling Wingfield strike, was faced with a far simpler save when Lampton, set on target by a Collins ball, shot low but straight at him. A moment which may have caused huge embarrassment saw the ball roll right through him, though fortunately for the 'keeper not into an unrecoverable position as he backtracked to recover the situation.

The crosses were flying in on May's goal, and from more unusual sources numbering Odunsi, Lampton and Sills. Sills, Lewington and Wingfield at the receiving end were all however to keep their efforts on target. As the half came to an end, a short ball to May saw the 'keeper's clearance charged down by the boot of Lampton, sending the ball low and short to Odunsi. His ball set Sills up for a clear striking opportunity in the D, but the striker was felled no sooner than receiving the ball. Sills' resulting free kick was blocked by the wall and ran comfortably into the hands of May and the sides went into the interval scoreless.

It was not long into the second half before the Kingston Road faithful were treated to the first goal of the game. An NJ run down the left saw the winger/attacker send in an accurate cross onto the head of Tim Sills, who buried his powerful header past May for his third goal in the competition.

Minutes later, Phil Wingfield released a running strike which was parried by the Rebels' 'keeper before being cleared from the path of Sills by Chris Hibbard. Craig Lewington, recently showing a more attacking drive alongside his destructive duties, charged into the box before being halted by Andy Alexander with a strong nudge adjudged to be fair by the referee.

The second goal was on it's way, and was started by Lampton again, this time after winning a corner after a run down the left channel. The corner was delivered deep by Wingfield, and headed by Sills in what would have almost certainly been a goalscoring effort. As it was, Matt Flitter was on hand in a further advanced position to deflect the ball with a header of his own to claim his first goal for the club.

Wingfield fed Lampton a chance at the 'keeper, who was successfully rounded before a high shot ended the productive nature of the move. A disputed Andrew Beech handball in the area was about all that was left of attacking football in the game as the last twenty minutes or so were played out in midfield, mainly in the possession of Worthing.

There was, however, still a finale for Kim Harris' men. Craig Rocastle was played in at an angle on goal by a sharp Lewington pass and the midfielder was able to calmly slot the ball around and over the approaching May for his first goal for the club. Nearly lost in the crowd, Rocastle was able to return to action, though little of that was left as what was a comfortable game came to an end. Next round sees a return to Ryman One North opposition in the form of Aveley, victors over cup holders Northwood.

Tue 17th Dec 2002
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Cup 3rd round
Sills, Flitter, Rocastle
1Lance Key
2Liam Collins
3Sean Thurgood15
4Craig Lewington
5Matt Flitter
6Bashiru Alimi
7Leke Odunsi
8Julian Sills
9Tim Sills14
10Neil Lampton
11Phil Wingfield16
12Scott Steele
13Adrian Jones
14James Pinnock9
15Max Hustwick3
16Craig Rocastle11
Man of the Match
Leke Odunsi
Match Report By
Ali Kazemi