[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Hampton & Richmond Borough 2-1 Kingstonian

Kingstonian made the short trip across the river to renew old acquaintances in front of a sparse crowd at the Beveree. Manager Ian McDonald was a former Hampton manager, along with Rob Paris and Tony Reid from his playing staff. The Beavers, meanwhile, with Craig Lewington, Matt Elverson, Luke Fontana and Mark Boyce amongst their ranks were only edged by Staines for number of former K's players this season.

Lining up as they did at Slough the previous week, K's sought to once again take the initiative. Building up a flowing rhythm, they were not without their moments at the back - Dave Timothy having to clear off his line on the quarter hour mark.

Martyn Lee, resurgent in a more orthodox midfield position, combined well with Bashiru Alimi to give their side a stronghold in midfield.

An inswinging Lee free kick from the right caused home goalkeeper Kieron Drake problems as struggled to palm the ball away as Tony Reid hovered with intent.

Kenny Ojukwa showed good strength under pressure in a deep position to nick a ball away for Lee to go surging down the left channel before striking low across goal. Only Drake's fingertips prevented what would have been the opening goal.

Yet said goal was on its way, and the source was one rehearsed only minutes earlier. Ojukwa won the ball out on the left before releasing Lee down the wing. Cutting in as he raced to the by-line, the diminutive midfielder drew out Drake before calmly cutting the ball back for Bernard Asante to roll in his first goal for the club.

The hard-working combination of Tony Reid and Kenny Ojukwa almost reaped dividends towards the end of the half when Ojukwa made it to the dead ball line before driving in a dangerous cross that was blocked by Andy Morley right in front of his goal.

Just on the stroke of half time, a succession of Hampton deliveries caused problems for K's, with Dave Timothy again well placed to clear a Matt Elverson header of the line.

The second half was only a few minutes old when Hampton grabbed an equaliser - unsurprisingly from a dead ball situation. Dean Wells' long throw was not properly cleared and an unmarked Ryan Ashe headed the resulting cross in.

Buoyed by the goal, the home side picked up their game. Ashe went seeking a second when striking from distance, but Alan Hughes was placed right behind the shot to gather.

Chances through the rest of the half were at a premium at both ends. Tony Reid saw a header comfortably taken by Drake whilst at the other end substitute Richard Pacquette saw his long drive parried over by Hughes.

The game did however come back into life in the final five minutes. Hughes was quick off his line to deny Pacquette a shooting opportunity whilst Martyn Lee turned in a good ball to K's substitute Jean Serge Musungu, though the shot flew past the target.

With the game all but seemingly over, Hampton were awarded a soft free kick high up the field on the right. Dean Wells' deep delivery was met at the far post by the Matt Elverson late show - this time burying an angled header to give his side an unlikely win.

Kingstonian and Hampton have hit different ends of the scale in their histories when it comes to this season. Yet in recent weeks there seems to be a resurgent spirit at K's, firstly off the pitch with a new owner and now on it too with a new management team. The work towards next season has already begun - something that last time round didn't start until the first day of the new season.

Tue 12th Apr 2005
Beveree Stadium
Isthmian League Premier
Hampton & Richmond2
1Alan Hughes
2Ian Dickens12
3Martyn Lee
4Richard Taylor
5Bernard Asante
6Jonathan Coke
7Stuart Reeks
8Bashiru Alimi
9Kenny Ojukwa17
10Tony Reid
11Dave Timothy
12Steven Sanders2
14Robert Paris
15Steven Guaje-Velandia
16Helmut Dayo
17Jean-Serge Musungu9
Match Report By
Ali Kazemi