[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 2-2 Aveley

Putting aside their Sunday roasts, 402 fans made their way to Kingsmeadow for this weekend's FA Trophy First Qualifying Round. An exciting match ended in a 2-2 draw, with both sides enjoying periods of exciting and fast paced play. However, the result suited neither side, and they will meet again on Wednesday night to decide the victor.

The new roof unveiled

With Kingstonian attacking the athletics ground, Aveley kicked off the match. The K's had the better of the first passage of play, but it was Aveleys Simon Thomas who managed the first shot of the game, which Chuck Martini held onto comfortably.

However, Marc Palmer in the Aveley goal looked shaky early on, fumbling a Mazin Ahmad cross at the first attempt, before collecting it safely. Just a few minutes later Ahmad was able to skip past three defenders, running across the pitch, before a clever back heel opened up space for Martyn Lee to drive in a low shot that went just wide.

Ahmad was in sparkling form in the first half, and caused the Aveley defence no end of trouble. Dribbling the ball past two defenders he struck a shot towards goal, but an Aveley boot just managed to the take the sting out of the effort, allowing Palmer to collect safely.

Aveley also managed a couple of efforts on goal too. Simon Thomas was nearly sent through one goal, but a well timed Jon Coke tackle sent the ball out for a throw. Then Jones Awuah was able to break free from his marker but shot straight into Martini's hands.

With the ball in the middle of the park, a late challenge by an Aveley player nearly conceded a free kick, but the referee allowed play to go on, and Tony Reid was able to take on his marker, before sending over a deep cross into the box. Mazin Ahmad was the man of the moment, peeling away from the defender a meeting the cross with his left boot. The ball rocketed into the back of the net. Kingstonian 1 - 0 Aveley.

Just minutes after the goal, K's won a free-kick outside of the box. Ahmad stepped up to take it, curling the ball towards the far post. A fully stretched Palmer managed to tip the ball onto the crossbar, and two K's headers were unable to put the ball away.

However, after enjoying a good spell of possession, Kingstonian then found themselves on the back foot. As Aveley got the ball into the K's box, a mix up in the goal mouth saw Martini fail to collect the ball and Simon Thomas shot into an empty net. Kingstonian 1 - 1 Aveley.

Aveley won possession back from Kingstonian after play had restarted, and a long range shot that dipped in the air caused Martini to tip the ball over the net. The resulting corner was cleared, and the referee was able to blow for half-time.

Kingstonian made a change after the break, replacing Jon Coke with Mark Rhodes. And again they enjoyed the better of the first minutes of the half, but it was Aveley who made the more telling contribution. A break on the right hand side led to a cross into the box, and Kevin Marsden rose above the marker to loop the ball over Martini. Kingstonian 1 - 2 Aveley.

Being a goal down, Kingstonian began to push forward. However, there was too much space at the back, an Aveley were able to counter attack to good effect. Marsden ran away down the left wing and sent in a cross, which Jones Awuah volleyed just wide.

For a large spell in the second half, the K's struggled to win possession, and when they did win it they found it hard to keep hold of. On 70 minutes Tony Reid came off, to be replaced by Tommy Cass. K's then enjoyed a good spell, which saw them hit the crossbar, and win a succession of corners.

'I can score from these'

On 77 minutes Martyn Lee sent a free-kick into the box. Palmer came to collect but failed again, and the ball went for a corner. Mazin Ahmad took the corner, curling the ball in towards the far post. Many heads rose to meet the ball, but it did enough by itself ended up inside the netting. Kingstonian 2 - 2 Aveley.

With the game drawing to a close, both sides pushed for the win. Kevin Mulley headed narrowly over for the visitors, and Bashiru Alimi nearly found himself free in the box, but the goalkeeper was able to collect neatly.

With the final whistle, the fans didn't know whether to feel relieved or aggrieved. Both sides had created a number of chances, and the scoreline could have been much higher than it was. However, if Kingstonian are to emerge as victors in Wednesday nights replay, they will have to mark better than they did this afternoon. Even at times when the K's were on top, the Aveley strikers were able to find space, sometimes on the wings, and at other times more disturbingly inside the box. Nevertheless there were some very good performances today, and the first goal was a top class effort.

Sun 16th Oct 2005
Kingsmeadow Stadium
FA Trophy 1st qualifying round
Ahmad (2)
1Chuck Martini
2Jonathan Coke16
3Richard Taylor
4Scott Corbett
5Julian Sills
6Stuart Reeks
7Mazin Ahmad
8Bashiru Alimi
9Kenny Ojukwa
10Tony Reid14
11Martyn Lee
12Christian Gonzalez
14Tommy Cass10
15Ian Dickens
16Mark Rhodes2
17Jon Ashwood
Match Report By
Darren Bell