[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 1-0 Bashley

Two hundred and forty nine fans turned up at Kingsmeadow this evening to see Kingstonian claim victory over fellow mid-table side Bashley. The result should push K's towards the right end of the table, although the performance was at times nervy, for players and fans alike.

With Kingstonian attacking the Athletics Ground End, Bashley kicked off this 7.45pm fixture. The first chance of the game fell to the K's, a sliced clearance creating an opening, but the long range effort was deflected over the bar by a Bashley leg.

The Bashley goalkeeper, Stacey Harper, came out for the resulting corner, fumbled the ball, and was lucky not to be beaten to the loose ball by a K's shirt. Releasing the ball down the left wing, Richard Gillespie used his electric pace to get past the K's defence. He sent in a low, hard cross from the left flank, which Martini came for and collected comfortably.

Then came Kenny Ojukwa's turn to demonstrate his pace, running onto a through ball, but unfortunately sending the ball wide of the goal. Minutes later, Kenny was again involved in the action, collecting the ball on the left before being felled. The following quick free-kick came to nothing.

The referee then nailed his colours to his mast, giving Kenny a stern talking to for what appeared an over-reaction from Stacey Harper, after Kenny had attempted to win a ball that was there for the taking. Within two minutes Harper went down in more dramatic fashion, and again the physio was called onto the pitch. This time the referee brandished a yellow card for Kenny.

The melee that resulted from the innocuous looking challenge saw one of the Bashley coaches dismissed for running onto the pitch and confronting players and officials alike.

The match was in danger of going the same way as the Cray game, and shortly afterwards Kingstonian had both forwards on yellows. This time Mark Watson was booked after a Bashley came out of a strong tackle worse. What had begun as a lively encounter had turned into fiery situation. Fortunately however, this game was not destined to descend into farce.

Kingstonian began to exert some pressure, winning a steady succession of corners. From one in particular Mark Watson rose the highest, only to head the ball narrowly over the bar. However, Bashley had a few players with explosive pace who were managing to cause problems at the back for Kingstonian. In particular Richard Gillespie found himself free in the box after running some distance, but Chuck Martini read the through ball well, and went down bravely at his feet to remove the threat.

This time Bashley found the pendulum swinging back in their direction, winning a free-kick outside the box. A well struck shot went narrowly over the bar, allowing Chuck Martini to release some of the pressure with his goal kick.

The ball was worked up to Kenny on the left wing, who took the ball up to the corner flag. Again he was fouled by a clumsy challenge, allowing the K's a free-kick. And again Harper came for the ball, flapped and missed, but the ball was cleared by one of his defenders. The loose ball was picked up by Bashley's Jimmy Anderson, who ran it into the box before narrowly curling the ball around the post.

Shortly afterwards Richard Taylor was booked after a collision in the centre circle, the third K's player to receive the yellow. However Kingstonian were beginning to reassert themselves on the game. A Mark Watson flick-on found captain Bashiru Alimi unmarked at the far post, but unfortunately what his header had in direction it lacked in power, and Harper was able to react quickly enough to block the ball.

As Kingstonian gained momentum, Matt Parnell gave Mark Watson a shove, conceding a free-kick for his troubles. This time Kingstonian were not to be suppressed. With the clock on 42 minutes Martyn Lee swung the cross into the box, and Kenny Ojukwa rose highest to plant the ball firmly into the back of the net. KINGSTONIAN 1 - 0 Bashley.

There was still time for a further chance in the half, again falling to Kenny after a corner that was not dealt with by the Bashley defence. The ball stuck to his feet however, and Bashley were able to clear it this time. Shortly after this the referee blew for half-time.

Kingstonian kicked off the second half, and a few minutes in they found themselves with another free-kick outside the box. The ball was sent high towards the far post, and a looping header bounced onto the top of the crossbar and out for a goal-kick.

Bashley began to force their way back into the game, and a few minutes later produced their best effort on goal. Scott Corbett sent Jimmy Anderson to the floor, and the resulting free-kick was extremely well hit. The ball was hit with venom, but also had movement, and Chuck Martini was called upon the produce a top quality save, using his fingertips to push the ball onto the post, which then bounced out to safety. A chorus of "ooohs!" echoed around Kingsmeadow, preceding an appreciative round of applause for Martini's agile save.

Jon Coke then received Kingstonian's fourth yellow of the evening for a late, crunching challenge on Steele Saunders. The game then became a battle of attrition, being played out in the centre of the park, with both sides cancelling each other out for a large chunk of the second half. During this time, Michael Brady found his way into the referee's book, for leaving his foot in after the Bashley defender had cleared the ball.

As time began to run out, Kingstonian were finding it harder to keep possession of the ball, largely relying on breaks to stifle Bashley's attacking threat. Kenny went on a run from his own half, and found his way into the Bashley box, but Harper came of his line and went down at Kenny's feet to clear the ball. However, despite threatening with their pace, Bashley were unable to create anything concrete during this period.

At the final whistle, Kingstonian were deservedly cheered. After having gone down 2-1 at the weekend despite leading, this time they had managed to hold onto a one goal lead. The performance was far from polished, and was at times industrial rather than picturesque. But this Lowry-esque display was well worth the three points, and will help push this side up the table.

Mon 3rd Oct 2005
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Division One
1Chuck Martini
2Jonathan CokeCautioned
3Richard TaylorCautioned
4Scott Corbett
5Julian Sills
6Stuart Reeks
7Michael BradyCautioned
8Bashiru Alimi
9Kenny OjukwaCautioned
10Mark WatsonCautioned
11Martyn Lee
12Tony Reid
14Mark Rhodes
15Ian Dickens
16Tommy Cass
17Jon Ashwood
Match Report By
Darren Bell