[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 2-1 Molesey

The early Saturday kick off saw the return to Kingsmeadow of former fans favourite Phil Ruggles. However, it was his former strike partner Kenny Ojukwa who stole the limelight in this hard-fought clash. Despite not being able to register a goal, Ojukwa's drive and determination stood out, winning the praise of the fans after the final whistle had been blown.

Kingstonian kicked off the game at 12.15pm, with Molesey attacking the Athletics End. The Moles made the brighter start to the first-half, winning possession from the K's, pushing it upfield and winning a free kick. Russell Pym forced Chuck Martini to turn the well taken free kick out for a corner, however the danger was not over. The resulting corner was swung into the centre of the box, where confusion between the 'keeper and the defence left a Molesey head to rise highest, planting the ball into the back of the net. GOAL Kingston 0 - 1 Molesey.

Molesey didn't take the foot of the gas, and kept coming back, the dangerous Russell Pym saw his long range effort fly over the bar into the athletics ground, and then Martyn Lee bravely blocked an attempted cross from Tyrone James. Shortly afterwards, Phil Ruggles nearly made an impact, breaking free from the defence, only to find the linesman flagging him for offside.

Kingstonian were trying to claw their way back into the game, when a foul brought down Kenny Ojukwa. Martyn Lee put the ball high into the box, where it was cleared for a corner. Mazin Ahmad crossed in, but Adrian Creamer in the Molesey goal collected. With possession returning to Molesey, Phil Ruggles found himself with an excellent chance to double the lead, breaking into the box with an angled run. As he attempted to shoot, a Kingstonian leg appeared and sent the ball out for a corner. Ruggles then claimed he was pushed, but the referee was not convinced and waved for a corner, which was headed over the crossbar.

Moseley continued to turn the screw, as Tyrone James spotted Chuck Martini off his line and attempted a chip shot. James came very close to catching Martini out, but thankfully the ball landed on the netting, rather than in it. By this point Kingstonian were looking to make more of a physical impact, as Molesey were dominating possession in the centre of the field. However, it was this physical approach that nearly gifted Ruggles the goal he would surely have craved. Another well placed free kick from Russell Pym curled behind the defence and Ruggles broke free from the shackles of his marker, diving forwards to connect with the ball. The ball missed his head by a mere inch or two, and then went around the post for a goal kick by the same margin.

With a quick break, Kenny Ojukwa combined pace and power to force his way around a Molesey defender and into the penalty box. Just as it looked like the ball had run too far, Kenny managed to keep it in, when suddenly a Molesey defender steamed in with a clumsy challenge that sent Kenny flying. The referee had no option but to award a penalty on 28 minutes. Mazin Ahmad stepped up, and sent a beautifully taken penalty kick into the top right hand corner of the goal. GOAL Kingstonian 1 - 1 Molesey.

That one's past you, Mr Goalkeeper

With this goal, Kingstonian found some confidence. Mazin Ahmad switched from the right wing to the left, and immediately began to trouble his new marker, making a couple of forays into opposition territory. Shortly after, Kenny Ojukwa found himself with a free header on the six yard line, but was only able to scoop the ball over the bar. As play found its way back into Kingstonian's half, Ruggles was again flagged for offside.

Some good passing and movement between Scott Bennetts and Bashiru Alimi nearly created an opening for Kenny, who attempted an overhead kick, which the referee didn't like, thus awarding a free kick to Molesey. Shortly after the referee blew for half time. Kingstonian were the more disappointed to come in for the break as they were just beginning to make an impression on the game.

Molesey kicked off the second-half, but Kingstonian kept their momentum, as Mazin Ahmad swung a stunning cross from the right into the box, narrowly missing a number of K's heads. Kenny Ojukwa then picked up the loose ball, and put in a cross, this time finding Mazin Ahmad, whose looping effort just drifted over the bar. Then, a long range free kick from Ahmad curled in towards the far post forced Adrian Creamer to turn it out for a corner. Kingstonian decided it was time for a change, replacing Damien Panter with Tony Reid.

Molesey finally managed to wrestle the ball back from the K's midfield and put a ball into the box. In one of the games more bizarre incidents, Chuck Martini was felled as he managed to keep hold of the ball, and then received a booking for his trouble. As the ball found its way back into the Molesey half, Kenny Ojukwa broke free on the right wing, and sent in a perfect cross for Tony Reid, who headed the ball back across the keeper and into the net. GOAL Kingstonian 2 - 1 Molesey.

Tony asks for a hand

Shortly after the goal, another bizarre decision by the referee saw Kenny Ojukwa booked after clearly playing the ball. However, Kingstonian kept up the pressure, dominating the midfield, and winning more free kicks in the Molesey half. A Martyn Lee free kick saw Ojukwa dive to the ball and glancing it across the face of the goal, onto the post. Then Mazin Ahmad made a darting run down the left and on reaching the near post pulled it back for Scott Corbett, whose quick reaction unfortunately sent the ball wide.

When the referee blew the final whistle, all the Kingstonian fans took to their feet and deservedly cheered the team. Having looked lacklustre in the early stages of the game, Kingstonian had made their way back from a goal down to dominate the second half, and find a couple of goals that their play had merited. There were a number of good performances today, and despite Martyn Lee taking the man of the match award, the loudest cheer was reserved for Kenny Ojukwa, whose tireless display had been at the heart of this spirited performance. And so, as those making their way home by public transport will be able to verify, Kingstonian are like a bus. We have to wait 10 months for a home competitive victory, then two come along at once!

Sat 3rd Sep 2005
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Division One
Ahmad (pen), Reid
1Chuck MartiniCautioned
2Mazin Ahmad
3Richard Taylor
4Scott CorbettCautioned
5Julian Sills
6Stuart Reeks
7Scott Bennetts
8Bashiru Alimi
9Kenny OjukwaCautioned
10Damian Panter12
11Martyn Lee
12Tony Reid10
14Michael Brady
15Ian Dickens
16Mark Rhodes
17Jon Ashwood
Match Report By
Darren Bell