[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Tonbridge Angels 1-0 Kingstonian

Having both been relegated last season and currently challenging for a playoff place, or better, this game between Tonbridge Angels and Kingstonain promised to be exciting.

Unfortunately the conditions hampered proceedings and only the goal in the eighth minute was the only spark in a cold and wet game.

The pitch, which held up well despite the incessant drizzle, had not been played on in midweek after the snowstorm in Kent.

The home side started the stronger, gaining an early corner and a dangerous free kick twenty-five yards out, just left of centre.

Alan Hughes fumbled Drew Watkins strike under a strong, too strong for the Kingstonian contingent, challenge that fell to Angels captain Steve Aris who tapped home to score the only goal of the game in the eighth minute.

Tonbridge looked the better team but after twenty minutes the visitors started to have more of the possession but failed to capitalize in the final third of the pitch.

The pace and height of the home team troubled the slower Kingstonian back line.

The game settled into a pattern of Tonbridge counter-attack and clear chances, the best falling to Jay May who found himself with time and space in-front of goal on two occasions and was found wanting, with Kingstonian having the majority of the possession.

Ray Powell who was playing on the left of the Angels midfield linked up well with Fraser Logan, and Watkins when he drifted over to the right, and was the most dangerous player on the pitch in the first half.

For K's Bashiru Alimi started to win the battle in midfield but with the home side consistently playing long high balls to the forwards his treat was minimised.

At half time Tonbridge deserved to have been further ahead.

The second half was a poor companion to the first, though that to left something to be desired.

Kingstonian changed their formation at half time with Steve Potterill being replaced by Martyn Lee, who latched onto a low Steve Symes cross but shot over early in the period, with Scott Corbett moving to right back to cover the dangerous Powell.

The game became bogged down in midfield but both May and Powell had chances to increase the Angel's lead before May was substituted with fifteen minutes remaining.

Former Kingstonian goalkeeper Jerome John was not tested in the home goal and received a warm reception from the visiting part of the 528 people that attended.

The last 10 minutes saw three yellow cards, produced by referee C.J. Lymer who had an inconsistent performance, for Lew Watts -decent-, Steve Symes -bad tackle- and Corbett -high tackle-.

The result, if not the score line, reflected the balance of the match.

While leaving the Home fans were singing: "Up with the Reigate?" and the travelling fans singing "were not going up"

Sat 15th Apr 2006
Longmead Stadium
Isthmian League Division One
Tonbridge Angels1
1Alan Hughes
2Stuart Booth
3Steve SymesCautioned
4Danny Ward14
5Julian Sills
6Richard Taylor
7Charley Side
8Bashiru Alimi
9James Rose15
10Steve Potterill16
11Scott CorbettCautioned
12Tony Reid
14Geoff Pitcher4
15Kenny Ojukwa9
16Martyn Lee10
17Jonty Venter
Match Report By
Tim Bell