[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Westfield 1-1 Kingstonian
Martin Reid's it right

Kingstonian travelled to face another opponent - Westfield - from the Cherry Red Records Combined Counties League in the Surrey Cup having comfortably dispatched Chessington & Hook United in the previous round.

Manager Ian McDonald was once again able to make full use of his squad, with the starting lineup showing five changed from the team that won at Molesey at the weekend. Full backs Stuart Booth and Steve Symes returned to action, with Michael Brady and Jon Coke taking central defensive positions alongside former Westfield man Richard Taylor. Tony Reid was selected to lead the front line, with Tommy Cass making a rare appearance alongside him.

As would be expected, the in-form visitors took the early initiative, peppering their hosts with a number of early deliveries, including a succession of corners. Tony Reid was unable to put a dangerous Paul Wetherall cross past goalkeeper Geoff Smyrk, whilst a combination of Smyrk and Ian Cable was enough to smother any chance substitute James Rose had of scoring with his first touch, having come on to replace the hobbling Tommy Cass.

With a distinct lack of any noteworthy sightings on goal, the game was increasingly played in midfield until the home side pushed forward with their best spell just before half time.

The industrious Victor Kiri broke free down the left before picking out Phil Parsons with his cross. The Westfield captain, however, was not able to keep his header on target. And right on the stroke of half time a bit of hesitancy in the K's box saw Nick Darnell squeeze a strike in from a tight angle that Richard Martin did well to parry away.

The second half was much like the first; frantic football with little cutting edge. Westfield had the first effort of the half as Darnell tried his luck once more, this time from just outside the box. Martin was again able to save, blocking with his legs as he dived across goal before gathering. That was as good at it got until the fine ten minutes of regulation time.

Kingstonian mustered a couple of meaningful attacks of their own, first when James Rose flicked on a Paul Wetherall cross, cutting out goalkeeper Geoff Smyrk, but also eluding Tony Reid as he closed down at the back post. Reid's turn for the flick followed, this time to Scott Corbett, who saw his header under pressure bounce off the top of the crossbar and over.

Ye the clearest chance of the match came in the final few minutes as the home side broke down the right. Parsons found an opening in the middle and volleyed just beyond the upright. Extra time had been almost inevitable all game, and this move only confirmed that.

Kiri continued to look the liveliest player on the field as he embarked upon another mazy run before releasing a fierce shot that Marin could only parry out to Parsons. With an open goal beckoning, the strike was horribly sliced wide and the first period of extra time finished goalless as penalties beckoned.

Despite his hat-trick of misses, Parsons continued to be an influential player for his side, and his moment finally came with thirteen minutes of extra time remaining. Craig Moore drilled in a low cross to the edge of the box which Parsons swivelled on before driving low across Martin for the elusive goal.

And whilst there was destined to be no further action in Woking Park on the night, a headed clearance from the vocally talented Rod Stuart fell only as far as Tony Reid on the edge of the box. The powerful striker produced a moment of deft quality to lighten any match. Particularly this one. Smyrk was left helpless as the shot looped over and across him into the top corner of the goal. Penalties were now inevitable, with only five minutes remaining.

Craig Moore and Craig Ellis converted the first two spot kicks in the shootout for Westfield, whilst Scott Corbett and Stuart Booth converted their respective replies for the K's. Then young Brighton goalkeeper Richard Martin made the night his, firstly saving superbly at his left post from Rod Stuart before smothering Phil Parsons' effort. Tony Reid and Steve Symes converted their efforts as Kingstonian won the penalty shoot out by four goals to two.

A pleasing result to move into the quarter finals of the Surrey Senior Cup, particularly given the nature of the game. K's will certainly need to up their game to progress further in the competition, and, more importantly, to continue their ascent up the league table.

Tue 31st Jan 2006
Woking Park
Surrey Senior Cup 3rd round
aet - Kingstonian win 4-2 on penalties
1Richard Martin
2Stuart Booth
3Steve Symes
4Scott Corbett
5Michael Brady
6Richard Taylor14
7Jonathan Coke
8Bashiru Alimi
9Tony ReidCautioned
10Tommy Cass15
11Paul Wetherall
14Mark Jarman6
15James Rose10
16Kenny Ojukwa
17Paul Brady
Match Report By
Ali Kazemi