[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


AFC Sudbury 2-2 Kingstonian

Two sides with a strong cup pedigree meeting each other was always likely to produce a tight game, and so it proved, as three-time FA Vase runners-up AFC Sudbury came from two goals down to take a 2-2 draw with K's.

Having been two ahead at half time, there may be a temptation to say that Stuart McIntyre's men threw the game away. The truth though, is that they were up against strong opposition and the result was certainly a fair reflection of the game.

K's started in jubilant fashion though, hitting the ground running in the competition that has brought them their most famous successes. After Danny Morris was fouled in the third minute, Martyn Lee's free kick was controlled by Richard Taylor. The centre-back laid the ball back to Morris, who emphatically drove it home from fifteen yards.

Both sides continued to have half chances but two moments of controversy would dog the first half. First, with Tommy Noble in on goal, Steve Potterill brought him down - the fact that Noble was at a slight angle from goal may have persuaded the referee not to dismiss him but he was still a touch fortunate.

Sudbury were also lucky to keep eleven on the pitch. Neil Calver, already booked for a tackle that would ultimately contribute to Tony Reid limping off, twice brought Mazin Ahmad down cynically yet somehow avoided a second yellow. Sudbury's manager wisely substituted Calver before he could be sent off, though did not avoid being sent from the dugout himself a few minutes later. He did at least take it in good part though, laughing and shaking hands as he negotiated a tunnel of K's fans on his way back to the dressing room.

By this point his side were already two down - majestic work from Ahmad on the right saw his perfect cross beat Shane Wardley and Morris poked it past Nathan Munson from close range. Nonetheless Sudbury are not a team to go down without a fight and they always looked the better side after half time.

A Luke Hammond shot came close and then the first breakthrough came just after the hour mark. Skipper David Head's hot was blocked by the hand of Tommy Moorhouse, and Head himself sent Luke Garrard the wrong way with an inch perfect penalty.

Twenty minutes from time the game was level as once again this year K's were caught on the counter-attack. Ahmad lost the ball in the opposition box but K's failed to track back well enough and after Moorhouse was pulled out of position Noble was the spare man at the far post and had too much time and space to fire into the roof of the net.

Julian Sills returned from injury to shore up the defence, and from that point on K's were only ever playing to ensure a replay. That was eventually managed by the flagging visitors and now Kingsmeadow will be set for what should be an entertaining replay.

Saturday 21st October 2006
(AFC Sudbury A)
Stuart McIntyre interview
[WMA file - 6:25 - 1,543Kb]

Sat 21st Oct 2006
Kingsmarsh Stadium
FA Trophy 1st qualifying round
AFC Sudbury2
Morris (2)
1Luke Garrard
2Steve PotterillCautioned
3Martyn Lee
4Stephen BroadCautioned
5Tommy Moorhouse14
6Richard Taylor
7Scott Corbett
8Daniel MorrisCautioned
9Tony Reid12
10Mazin AhmadCautioned
11Glenn Boosey
12Julian Sills9
14Danny Lavender5
15Yinka Salaam
16Jon Coke
Match Report By
Simon Grier