[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 5-0 Burgess Hill

Kingstonian welcomed Burgess Hill Town to Kingsmeadow this afternoon, for the final fixture of another difficult season. With nothing but pride to play for, the home side dominated the game, producing a comprehensive performance throughout the side to ensure victory.

The first chance of the game fell to Burgess Hill, Lloyd Skinner seeing his free-kick cleared by the resilient Kingstonian defence. David Shin then caused Town's hearts to flutter, breaking free of the defence but shooting over the bar. Simon Huckle also had a chance to grab the opener, but his outstretched boot was unable to create the power needed to finish his shot, and Town's defence cleared.

Despite the final scoreline, the opening exchanges between the two sides resembled a pre-season friendly for large periods. Lacklustre running, misplaced passes and sloppy tackles frequented the first twenty minutes of the game.

However Danny Summers sparked Kingstonian into action, collecting the ball on the left wing, and playing a searching cross to Dave Francis at the far post. Francis hit the ball with power, but Andre Foster in the Burgess Hill goal managed to get down to his right and stretch a hand to the ball, keeping it out.

Burgess Hill's best chance of the game came when a deep cross was swung in from the left wing. A direct, powerful header brought out an excellent reflex save from Garrard, who was otherwise a spectator.

On 36 minutes Kingstonian finally made the breakthrough. David Shin took a throw on the right wing, to which Jon Coke gave chase. Coke hit the ball on the volley, sending over a deep cross to the far post, to which Danny Summers ran onto, launching his header into the back of the net.

Just 90 seconds later, David Shin was again involved in the action, using his pace to beat his marker. Running into the box from the right wing, he spotted Simon Huckle making a forward run, and neatly struck a pass into Huckle's stride. Huckle met the ball on the move, and tidily placed his shot beyond Foster's reach, giving the K's a 2-0 advantage.

Dave Francis had a chance to increase the lead further before half-time, breaking beyond the Burgess Hill defence, before striking a powerful shot past Foster. With the goalkeeper comprehensively beaten, the shot ricocheted off the far post and out for a Burgess Hill throw.

Just seconds before the referee called for half-time, David Shin found himself with possession 30 yards from goal. Shin used his close ball skill to skip the challenge of his marker, and ran into the box, from where he drove the ball narrowly over the bar.

Half-time score: Kingstonian 2 v 0 Burgess Hill Town

Both sides began the second half brightly. With Burgess Hill making an attack, Jon Coke had to bravely throw himself in the way of a low, drilled shot. However, as in the first half, it was Kingstonian who were able to complete their attacks with goals. Glenn Boosey, on at halt-time for Danny Summers, found himself through on goal but running wide. As the angle narrowed, his shot struck the post and flew into the path of David Shin, who showed great composure to slot the ball into the back of the net, for Kingstonian's third.

Boosey hits the post

Shin converts the rebound

Boosey was again involved in the action when he released David Shin down the right wing. Shin slotted the ball neatly between the goalkeeper and defence, but beyond the Kingstonian attack, and the all went all the way out for a Burgess Hill Town throw.

Hoowever, on 48 minutes, Kingstonian won a corner. A short pass to Dave Francis on the corner of the penalty box was initially miss-hit, but Francis didn't give up. Winning the ball back, he struck his second attempt past Foster to put Kingstonian 4-0 up.

With the away side struggling, David Shin continued to make life difficult for the visitors. Once again using his skill to beat his marker, he found himself in space on the right flank. Shin spotted Huckle running into the centre of the box, and duly sent over a pinpoint cross. Huckle managed to get beyond the defence, but sent his header wide of the post.

As the game wore on, Alan Dowson made two further changes to the team, firstly replacing Dave Francis with Wes Goggin, and then ten minutes later David Shin came off for Ross Chalke. But the goals hadn't finished coming.

On 73 minutes, Glenn Boosey shot from the edge of the box, and a cruel bounce left Andre Foster grabbing thin air, as the ball fell into the net.

Before the game finished, Boosey had a further chance to increase the score. Skipping past two defenders he hit a tame shot into the arms of a nervous Foster.

And so Kingstonian ended another difficult season on a high note. The team performance was superb, as highlighted by five different names on the list of goal scorers. Garrard and the defence looked like a solid unit, pulling together, and up front Kingstonian now have players capable to sticking the ball away when given half a chance. But highest praise has to be reserved for the excellent midfield display today, a midfield capable of defending when the team was under pressure, and of creating opportunities throughout the game. David Shin deservedly collected Man of the Match for his tireless work down the right wing, and for his involvement in the majority of the goals.

Sat 28th Apr 2007
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Division One South
Summers, Huckle, Shin, Francis, Boosey
Burgess Hill0
1Luke Garrard
2Scott Corbett
3Jon CokeCautioned
4Lee Riddell
5Tommy Moorhouse
6Simon Sobihy
7Joe ParisCautioned
8Danny Summers14
9Dave Francis15
10Simon HuckleCautioned
11David Shin12
12Ross Chalke11
14Glenn Boosey8
15Wes Goggin9
16Stuart Reeks
17Neil Lampton
Match Report By
Darren Bell