[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Croydon Athletic 2-0 Kingstonian

There seems to be something about Croydon Athletic's Mayfields ground that brings out the worst in Kingstonian. Last season, it was arguably the venue for their worst performance of the year and they'll be hoping that this term they do not manage another performance as poor as this one. Five first half minutes in which K's conceded two silly goals and went down to ten men allowed The Rams three fairly easy points and gave Kingstonian much to think about.

For half an hour the game was even if uneventful with Mark Simmons volleying over for the home side and Tony Reid and James Rose threatening with headers. On thirty-two minutes Athletic took a lead that they rarely looked like relinquishing however, quite predictably through Charley Side.

The striker, who left K's for The Rams this summer, sprinted onto a through ball that Luke Garrard and his defence left for each other and calmly slotted home. Five minutes later the match was over when Gareth Graham, hardly the tallest man on the pitch, was unmarked at the near post following a Danny Ward corner. His header was well-saved on the line by K's goalkeeper left-back Steve Symes - a penalty, a red card and a goal all quickly followed and the game was over as a contest. (Graham sent Garrard the wrong way from the spotkick.)

Paul Scott came close to making it three as a rout threatened before Stuart McIntyre stopped the damage by re-organising with the introduction of Steve Potterill. Sadly however, one of K's most creative outlets in Dean Lodge had to be sacrificed.

K's second half display was actually a lot better and they looked more composed at the back, but in truth had only two good chances to score. The first, early in the half, saw Reid play Scott Corbett in on goal but the midfielder got little power behind his effort and former Whyteleafe goalkeeper James Wastell got down well to save.

Had that gone in, the game's character may have changed but Croydon were always happy with their two goal lead and it was not until seven minutes from time that K's threatened again. One of many late K's corners was cleared as far as Aliy Kyezu, who miskicked his thirty yard shot to Julian Sills. Sills had time to get a shot in but Wastell did well to charge off his line and block it.

Croydon had chances of their own in the second half with Side twice more going close and comfortably held on for a win they were very happy with. Stuart McIntyre will now go back to the drawing board ahead of another difficult away game on Saturday.

Tuesday 22nd August 2006
(Croydon Athletic A)
Stuart McIntyre interview
[WMA file - 4:07 - 992Kb]

Tue 22nd Aug 2006
Isthmian League Division One South
Croydon Athletic2
1Luke Garrard
2Scott Smith
3Steve SymesSent Off
4Aliy Kyezu
5Julian Sills
6Richard Taylor
7Scott CorbettCautioned
8Dean Lodge16
9Tony ReidCautioned14
10James Rose15
11Martyn Lee
12Jon Coke
14Daniel Morris9
15Damian Panter10
16Steve PotterillCautioned8
17Stephen Windegaard
Match Report By
Simon Grier