[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 2-3 Leatherhead

Kingstonian fans would certainly have had a good idea of what they wanted for Christmas, at least as far as the football was concerned. Three points on Boxing Day would be a "must have" item, with a positive change in the league position second on the list. Under pressure manager, Stuart McIntyre, must have wanted these more than anyone else. But neither was to be, and it turned out that another up and down performance produced another disappointing result.

Aside from a brief ten minute spell in the second half where Drewett scored twice, was the best the home side had to offer in an otherwise dominant show from the Tanners. A goal in the first half and a quickfire brace out of the blocks in the second was enough to hand the visitors all three points.

Tony Reid returned to the field for the K's, to start along side Niall Connery up front, who was the only other change from the side that lost to Maidstone on Saturday. Connery looked sharp throughout the game, and provided one of the earliest opportunities for either team. Picking up the ball in the centre of the park, a well executed one-two with the on-form Gary Drewett left Connery free to drill in the cross, but it was blocked before reaching Reid.

Half way through the opening half, Leatherhead took the lead with a well taken chance from Steve Sargent. A loose cross at the edge of the box should have been cleared by either K's centre back, but it ran across to Sargent, who cut inside to blast into the top corner, leaving Garrard little chance.

Leatherhead came close to doubling their advantage five minutes later when a low shot was cleared off the line by Jon Coke. Kingstonian carved out a couple of chances, with Martyn Lee's shot saved and Steve Symes' curling wide. Closest of all was Gary Drewett whose looping lob just cleared Leatherhead's second choice keeper, Paul Borg, before bouncing off the cross bar.

Straight after the half time break is the most dangerous time for any trailing side, and it could scarcely have gone worse for Kingstonian, who shipped two in 5 minutes. The first came from the head of James Greenaway, who was afforded far too much space at the far post. Minutes later, skipper Iain Hendry headed home from a corner to make it 3-0.

Bizarrely, going three goals down seemed to spur the home side in to their best spell of football all afternoon and within ten minutes they'd pulled a goal back. Martyn Lee broke down the left hand side, beating two defenders. Running deep he looped a high cross over the keeper to the far post where a well-placed Drewett had no difficulty heading home.

The final goal of the encounter was an almost exact replica of the previous, with Lee crossing from further up field, but finding again Drewett at the far post. But it was not to be enough. Kingstonian didn't stop playing completely. Drewett continued to work hard on the right, but with Lee moved into the centre, the left hand channel dried up. Leatherhead defended stoutly and held on for the points, as Kingstonian's fight back simply ran out of time.

Another disappointing result in a long string for the Hoops must leave questions now about what changes the club needs for the New Year. A promising start to the season and a good squad of talented players have not lived up to potential. Moments of brilliance are being overshadowed by long periods of mediocrity and a lack of concentration and consistency.

Tuesday 26th December 2006
(Leatherhead H)
Dave Leworthy interview
[WMA file - 7:12 - 1,727Kb]

Tue 26th Dec 2006
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Division One South
Drewett (2)
1Luke Garrard
2Jon Coke
3Steve Symes
4Craig LewingtonCautioned15
5Julian SillsCautioned
6Jamie Jarvis
7Scott Corbett
8Gary Drewett
9Niall Connery
10Tony Reid16
11Martyn Lee
12Tommy Moorhouse
14Stuart Reeks
15Glenn Boosey4
16David Leworthy10
17Stephen Windegaard
Match Report By
Kevin O'Connor