[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 2-1 Corinthian-Casuals

Saheed Sankoh scored twice as Kingstonian's fine form from the end of last season continued with two wins in the first two games.

A loose ball in a muddled defence came out to Sankoh in the 55th minute before he shot the ball low straight back goalwards beating a diving Colin Harris to the left, bouncing on the ground through the crowded defence.

19 minutes later with the visitors still celebrating their equaliser two minutes before, Bobby Traynor found Liam Cockerill, whose cross found Sankoh's head and once more the back of the net bulged.

It is not since 2000/01 that K's have started the season with two successive wins and not since 1984 since the Casuals have lost to Kingstonian in any competition - or 1975 in a league match.

Saheed Sankoh
Photo: Andy Nunn

But from the kick-off, the home side took control with the first 20 minutes the game camped in the visitors' half. In spite of this few chances were made.

Cockerill's through ball found Wes Goggin and the keeper after three minutes, and then Cockerill was guilty of missing a scoreable chance after Tommy Moorhouse fed him a long ball across the pitch, right to left, but Cockerill's shot was weak.

A minute later, in the 10th, Cockerill redeemed himself combining with Goggin but the latter was unable to repay.

Two more chances then fell to Sankoh and Traynor, the latter from Neil Lampton's corner, but both went wide and high.

Finally the visitors woke up and in the 20th minute Simon Mitchell was denied by the legs of Luke Garrard, stranded on the ground. Desperate defending saw a handball conceded against the visitors in the area.

Five minutes later Lampton opened up the midfield as he embarked on a long run up the right before crossing to new signing Jason Turley. The ensuing shot at goal was tipped over by Harris, who then punched out well the following corner kick.

Once again the Casuals threatened to score as Steve Griffiths shot clattered heavily into the cross bar to the right with Garrard beaten.

Sankoh nearly took the lead minutes later in the 32nd minute when he fell under pressure in the goal area, but referee Tim Robinson waved away any protests from the home side and the fans in the Athletics End stand.

The first half ended goal-less in spite of a header going over from Tyrone Myton, after a Jamal Carr cross and a misjudged header from Sankoh, picked up by Lampton and skewed to the right of the goal.

The second half once again began as the first half had, Traynor being denied by Harris and the subsequent corner kick being scrambled out.

Thus it was no surprise when K's finally broke the deadlock on 51 minutes with Sankoh.

Sankoh strikes
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

Sankoh celebrates
Photo: Andy Nunn

This seemed to quieten the game down as the game began to drift into the ever-darkening autumnal night sky until Cartwright had two chances in quick succession from a Lampton freekick and a corner.

First Lampton whipped in a freekick, which he headed straight to the net, only to be denied by a reflex save from Harris again. And then still in the 67th minute Lampton's corner found Cartwright again and his ball seemed destined to avoid the crowded goal area until defender Dale Hennessy kicked the ball out off the line in the left corner.

Minutes later a comedy of errors saw the visitors equalise. An uncontested dropped ball 30 yards to the left of the away goal saw Sankoh kick the ball out of touch. Keeper Harris then kicked the ball straight up the pitch and a defensive lapse found the skipper Chris Horwood pounce on the ball and shoot past Garrard.

With the ink still wet in the referee's notebook Sankoh righted the error with a header and his second goal of the evening.

Sankoh's header glances past Harris in the Casuals goal
Photo: Andy Nunn

Sankoh is embraced by skipper Sobihy
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

In the 85th minute Traynor's shot looped high over the crossbar, but at the end the visitors piled on the pressure with four corners in a row as the referee saw fit to add six minutes of injury time. In the end a clearance and the referee blew an end to the game.

In spite of a few scares and the goal, Kingstonian deserved their win in front of the 379 hardy souls, with a good range of attacking options.

Kingstonian now sit second in the table after promotion rivals Dover Athletic followed up their 5-1 drubbing away to Horsham YMCA with a spirited 3-2 win at home, denying them the top spot.

Monday 20th August 2007
(Corinthian Casuals H)
Alan Dowson interview
[WMA file - 4:32 - 1,092Kb]

Mon 20th Aug 2007
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Division One South
Sankoh (2)
1Luke Garrard
2Jason Turley
3Simon SobihyCautioned
4Tommy Moorhouse
5Gavin Cartwright
6Jon Coke
7Neil Lampton12
8Wes Goggin16
9Bobby TraynorCautioned
10Saheed Sankoh
11Liam Cockerill
12James Rose7
14Danny Summers
15Scott Corbett
16Gareth Graham8
17Luke Naughton
Match Report By
Michael Underwood