[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 1-2 Eastbourne Town

Kingstonian headed off into the summer with a final defeat - a microcosm of their whole season played out in 90 minutes.

Taking an early second half lead the team once again failed to hold on to a one-goal lead in a match they had to win spectacularly if they were to drag themselves into a very unlikely play-off place at the expense of Worthing - who ironically lost by the same score themselves.

Initially they looked likely that this would happen and a Phil Williams goal on the hour was scant reward for the pressure piled on the visitors' defence. Running up pitch he fought past three players to tee up a low shot past Greg Nessling in goal.

Phil Williams scores
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

And that was as good as it got as he immediately went to ground clutching his ankle despite being surrounded by the celebrating team and had to be substituted.

Two goals in six minutes from Eastbourne soon after then finally consigned the season to the summer, on an afternoon when it felt that winter had finally gone the same way.

Chasing a 14-goal deficit Ks started the match aggressively. In only the 3rd minute Simon Huckle - up front with Bobby Traynor being rested - failed to control the ball 15 yards out and could only watch the first chance go begging.

Three minutes later Dean Lodge crafted himself an opening on the right and shot low towards the near post with Nessling beaten - but not the stanchion.

Dean Lodge in action
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

Town came back with a shot by Gary Brockwell after Matt Goodwin took advantage of sloppy play in defence. Then Brockwell once again, a minute later, tried to chip Luke Naughton but the ball went over the bar.

Kingstonian continued to attack and Jamie Beer picked up a free kick in the 15th minute on the left but his low shot through a crowded defence bounced off Greg Manton's legs. Williams was the next to be denied when his low shot on the left was tipped away by Nessling. From Lodge's corner that followed Huckle rose the highest and headed the ball past the left upright.

Another long run up the left of the field by Lodge in the 33rd minute was then crossed to Williams, who was dispossessed. This was followed by a cross field pass by Huckle out on the right to Lodge in the left of the area. He headed low to the goal and Nessling was well beaten - but once again the upright was not. This tie it was the near post.

A minute later and Gavin Cartwright's free kick was headed well over by Huckle 15 yards out. From the goal kick the visitors began to apply pressure in attack and won a corner. Danny Simmonds' corner was then wasted by Brockwell.

Gavin Cartwright in action
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

With the half starting to tick away a free kick by NJ Lampton resulted in Cartwright being unable to get anything on it. Lodge then saw a shot saved and another cross from Lampton but Huckle could only chest the ball to the goal keeper.

The second half started again with the home side rampant, both Cartwright seeing his header touched over the bar and then Huckle denied by Hessling from a long shot in the first couple of minutes; but then Town came back only to be stopped by Jon Coke in the back.

Kingstonian continued and for the third time Hessling was beaten - but not the upright. Lodge's corner on the left found Williams' head a couple of yards out but the ball came off the stanchion until the loose ball found Cartwright. His chip was caught acrobatically by Hessling.

Williams again seemed to be able to beat Hessling, two minutes later, but this time Hessling bravely dived at his feet and Williams lost out. Finally on the hour a battling run past the defence, minutes later, saw Williams limp off with the ball in the back of the net. All the pressure had paid off. Millwall player Gary Noel then came on.

Phil Williams in action
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

Within minutes he created a chance but his right-footed shot from 30 yards out went over the bar by three metres. The visitors, ignoring their lowly position, took advantage. Naughton snatched at a ball from Simon Catt shot, then a long chip from Mark Goodwin ended up in the hands of Naughton, until Luke Denton picked up a cross with his header from an innocuous cross on the left. The scores were level in the 69th minute.

Almost immediately Alan Dowson took off Rob Sheridan and put on Mark Watkins up front. Huckle was sent to the defence.

Town sensing an improbable win from a position of weakness continued to pres. Pressure on Naughton saw a kick out from defence. From the throw in on the left, Naughton bravely saved from a shot by skipper Simmonds, only to see Liam Baitup to follow in with the loose ball from close range.

Noel managed a shot over in the 81st minute but Kingstonian knew the game was up for the season - even if they did not know that play-off rivals Worthing were in trouble. Lodge followed up with a shot just before the end but then Simmonds also had a chance after Huckle failed to control the ball in defence.

In injury time a header by Huckle from 10 metres out was easily caught out by Hessling, while just before hand ex-Ks under-18 player Charlie Francis came on for Goodwin.

'The management'
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

With May almost here, Kingstonian still have a squad capable of sweeping all those beyond. This time next year, all should be realised with promotion.

Saturday 26th April 2008
(Eastbourne Town H)
Alan Dowson interview
[WMA file - 7:51 - 1,885Kb]

Sat 26th Apr 2008
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Division One South
Eastbourne Town2
1Luke Naughton
2Jamie Beer
3Jon Coke
4Rob Sheridan14
5Wayne Finnie
6Gavin Cartwright
7David Suchy12
8Neil Lampton
9Phil Williams15
10Simon Huckle
11Dean Lodge
12Jack Murphy7
14Mark Watkins4
15Gary Noel9
16Simon Sobihy
17Luke Garrard
Match Report By
Michael Underwood