[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Erith & Belvedere 2-1 Kingstonian

A very late spot kick sent Kingstonian home empty-handed after a battling performance by a very much-changed side at Erith & Belvedere.

With only two players from Monday's victory in the Isthmian Cup - Nick Rundell and Danny Summers - it took a penalty in the 117th minute to separate the two teams a non-league step apart.

Just before half-time Lee Riddell equalised after the visitors went down to an early goal. Finding himself with a free-kick on the edge of the box, he rifled it into the top corner past 'keeper Grant Wallis.

Kingstonian had started the game brightly and then had gone down in the 11th minute when Scott Corbett misjudged a ball on the touchline, thinking it had gone out for a throw-in. Nick Smith recently moved to the left wing by the club took off before squaring to Chris Pursglove who despatched it past Luke Naughton for his debut goal.

The penalty kick came with only three minutes of extra time left and the 12-yard shoot-out looming. Substitute Lee Benavente was bought down on edge of the penalty area by Creag Wilson and the ever-busy Matt Johnson stepped up to shoot past Naughton, unable to get his hands to the ball.

Having started so brightly in the first half, the opening goal took the initiative away from Kingstonian who found themselves frustrated increasingly by the home side, who kept play firmly away from their own goal area.

The second half saw Kingstonian begin to dominate more. Craig Dunne was denied in the 64th minute when his shot hit a defender and went flying up. Only an inspired save by Wallis, who had to dive the opposite way suddenly denied the sure winner with a finger-tip push over the goal.

Then with the minutes counting down sub Mark Watkins found himself with only the keeper to win and once again Wallis denied a sure winner - this time with his legs.

Extra time developed into stalemate until the late penalty and Kingstonian were unable to respond. A goal by the hosts' Nick Smith in the 103rd minute was the only highlight but it was disallowed by the linesman who flagged for offside.

Alan Dowson's decision to bring on many of the reserves and youngsters nearly paid off, with many of them having been given a run out the previous week in a friendly at Camberley Town with a more comprehensive win. Certainly a win would in 90 minutes would have been more deserved and the few fans that trekked over to Welling for the match to bolster the numbers up 85 - the lowest attendance for any match involving the visitors possibly ever according to records - would agree.

Wed 3rd Oct 2007
Park View Road (Welling United FC)
London Senior Cup 3rd round
Erith & Belvedere2
1Luke Naughton
2Scott Corbett
3Nick Rundell
4Rob SheridanCautioned
5Creag Wilson
6Lee Riddell
7Craig Dunne
8Gareth GrahamCautioned
9Danny Summers15
10James Rose
11Ross Chalke14
12Mark Jarman
14Mark Watkins11
15David Suchy9
17Ini Amaegbe
Match Report By
Michael Underwood