[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 1-0 Chipstead

Another contest and another cup but neither the fans nor the fare over-flowed at Ks struggled against a visiting Chipstead, who were just that - visiting.

With another team made up mainly of fringe players and under 18s, the meagre 115 crowd were treated to only one goal in this second round of the Surrey Senior Cup. A ninth minute scramble saw NJ Lampton poke the ball through and low from a couple of yards out to beat Barry Andrews.

This was not the first chance as an early Jason Turley shot was spilled before being gathered again by Andrews, in the goal mouth. Then Carl Wilson-Denis was denied from a Craig Mullen pass, but the defence held firm.

Barry Andrews recovers to gather a spilt ball
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

Lampton's goal then followed after Tommy Williams put in his free kick across the pitch to the right. The scramble ensued and finally Lampton put it in to the back of the net. Almost immediately Chipstead tried to hit back from the re-start with Jamal York breaking from midfield only for his shot to go tamely wide beyond the near post.

For the visitors that was as good as it got as the home side tried to exert some pressure back again. Wilson-Denis won the ball back from a poor goal kick in the 14th minute but failed to pass and lost the ball again then when Phil Williams was brought down by Liam Shirley - for which he was yellow carded - the free kick found Mullen who forced it through to Tommy Williams out on the wing. His cross back in was grabbed gratefully by Andrews.

A similar effort, this time from Phil Williams, in the 23rd minute had the same result. Five minutes later Mullen was just wide of the far post from another cross by Williams.

Carl Wilson-Denis in action
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

It was the turn of the other Williams this time as he found himself free of the pack with only the keeper to beat. With the options of chipping, shooting or rounding, it was the shot that won out and with Andrews well beaten the ball sailed over the cross bar. Another chance minutes later saw him well tackled from behind by Ben Walters, making his first team debut from the 18s.

Then in injury time Phil Williams was bought down 35 yards out. Up stepped Tom Dilloway from defence and his looping free kick went over the defence and hit the far post before rebounding out.

Half time saw Tommy Williams and Wilson-Denis off for Dumer Riviera and Jon Neal respectively. The second half did not take much time before Ks were on the attack. In the 52nd minute Williams picked up Nick Rundell's corner on the right. Rundell then picked up Williams' pass in and the shot went wide of the far post.

Chipstead then had a half chance when Neil John passed up to substitute Alec Browne. However some sort of normal service returned with Lampton's shot being easily saved. Then another Rundell corner was punched clear with Mullen up to heads the ball in. Two more long shots by Turley and Lampton went wide and over respectively. At this time the visitors' goalkeeper was swapped over with Andrews departing for Joe Brandt.

Craig Mullen in action
Photo: Chris Hatton - Kingstonian FC

This, while not inspiring the game, affected the visitors who then had two of the three remaining chances of the game. Luke Naughton's kick out of goal found John who shot wide in the 65th minute and then near the end Nathan Campbell coming in from the left, saw his shot tipped away by Naughton. In between Mullen was replaced by Adam Thompson.

With the match almost over Lampton's snatched shot 25 yards out from Rundell's free kick went wide of the far post.

While this match will not live long in the memory because of the lack of contest from the visitors - indeed this could have easily been a repeat of the previous Senior Cup drubbing two weeks earlier - Kingstonian were also not as good as they have been. A win is a win and with December approaching Ks remain in three cups and have the memory of a good FA Cup run and a crop of younger players coming through and challenging more established players.

Mon 24th Nov 2008
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Surrey Senior Cup 2nd round
1Luke Naughton
2Neil Lampton
3Tom Dilloway
4Wayne Finnie
5Rob Sheridan
6Jason TurleyCautioned
7Phil Williams
8Tommy Williams16
9Carl Wilson-Denis12
10Craig Mullen14
11Nick Rundell
12Jon Neal9
14Adam Thompson10
15Jamie Beer
16Dumer Rivera8
17Luke Garrard
Match Report By
Michael Underwood