[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 4-1 Boreham Wood

Two goals in the last 10 minutes helped Ks to a comprehensive win against Boreham Wood after a first half equaliser had seen the visitors begin to dominate.

Trailing from a fifth-minute goal off Bobby Traynor, Wood took advantage of static defending from a corner to score, and ended the half on the up; but they were undone within 11 minutes of the restart by Francis Duku poking home a high ball with his foot.

Christian Jolley's long range effort in the 81st minute followed by a header in the dying minutes from Simon Huckle then slightly flattered Ks with this deserved win.

With the sun shining low and into the defender's faces, Traynor headed in the ball from Matt Gray's free kick coming in from the right, but keeper Tony Tucker could have no excuse as the sun was shining in from the left.

From the restart Wood were up at the Athletics Ground End and an ex-AFC Wimbledon midfielder shot low with Rob Tolfrey diving the right way, only for Duku to put his foot in the way. Tolfrey could only watch as the ball looped up in the air ... and then well over the bar.

Still the visitors sought the equaliser and, when Lee Allinson passed to Chris Watters who turned Gray, Watters was only denied by the finger tips of Tolfrey minutes later. Allinson then shot wide when he found himself with only Tolfrey to beat. Tolfrey did enough for the angle to be narrowed and the chance went amiss.

Fortunately for Tolfrey, respite was at hand as first a frantic block at the other end in a crowded area was then followed by a cross in from Dean Lodge to Bashiru Alimi, only for the pass to be hit too strongly.

This rest was temporary as on the next Wood attack as a corner came in from the right by Mario Notu. Greg Morgan headed the ball through the defence and found the back of the far net. However in spite of the dominance of the visitors they failed to further break down the midfield area and only a poor free kick from 35 yards out in the 36th minute by Watters troubled Tolfrey.

A rejuvenated - and inspired - team came out for the second half and in Mo Harkin soon had the midfield with a pass, slightly too powerful, to Lodge. Then a speculative shot minutes later from Jolley was gathered by Tucker. The next time he was to take the ball was minutes later as this time the gathering came from the back of the net. A free kick from Gray found the end of Duku's boot in the area and he poked the ball high into the net in the 56th minute.

Wood were not beaten though and a brave and close-range save from Tolfrey left him hurt off Bradley Fraser's shot. Next it was the turn of Tucker to deny Lodge as Jolley fashioned a well-crafted pass in to the area. And back to the visitors again as a header from Jon Clements went well over. Again within minutes Clements was guilty of a mis-directed header, going wide this time. And this was as good as it got for them and him.

Almost immediately Traynor then found the nearside netting as he latched onto a short pass from Carl Wilson Denis. Then his header was well taken by Tucker before Wilson Denis's shot was blocked. However Jolley looked to be crossing in as once again Ks pressed home for the attack, but this time the ball hit the far upright at the top and went in; and doubled the advantage.

But Ks were far from unfinished and with the clock winding down Alimi had his shot deflected away and then a long shot out of the defence by Adam Thompson was denied by Tucker. Huckle then added the fourth by heading from close range off Harkin's cross from the left.

Only brave keeping from Tucker denied Huckle a second in injury time when once again the head connected with Gray's, this time, free kick also from the left. A long-range shot from Allinson deep in injury time summed up the visitor's second half as Tolfrey had no problems gathering it up safely.

As poor as Ks were in the first half, so strong were they in the second. Confidence was oozing out of them by the end as they deserved the three-goal half; but luck and Tolfrey kept the first half to evens and hence set up the platform for the win.

Sun 7th Mar 2010
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Premier
Traynor, Duku, Jolley, Huckle
Boreham Wood1
1Rob Tolfrey
2Matt Gray
3John Fletcher14
4Adam ThompsonCautioned
5Francis Duku
6Simon Huckle
7Bashiru AlimiCautioned
8Mo Harkin
9Bobby Traynor
10Dean Lodge12
11Christian Jolley16
12Carl Wilson-Denis10
14Robb Sheridan3
15Max Hustwick
16Lee Hall11
17Craig Bradshaw
Match Report By
Michael Underwood