[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 2-1 Horsham

Two first half goals and a gritty defence saw Kingstonian sting the hornets to record their first home win this season and climb further up the table.

A goal each from Simon Huckle and Karl Beckford in five minutes ensured the victory whilst a lively Horsham side managed to claw a goal back just after the hour mark.

In a repeat of his goal on Saturday Huckle found some space in the penalty area and headed the ball across the goalmouth and beyond Rob Tolfrey and into the net. Huckle had latched onto a corner from the right by Matt Gray in the 20th minute.

And within five minutes Gray was once again provider as he crossed to Beckford, who shot low beyond Tolfrey again.

Karl Beckford celebrates his goal
Photo: Andy Nunn

Accompanied by a noisy set of fans behind the Kingston Road End, Horsham began the game with the first foray in the third minute. Jack Lyons came in from the left and a good save by Luke Garrard saw the ball tipped around the upright. But back came the home side and Gray's long range pass up the midfield was a bit too strong for Bobby Traynor.

Matt Gray in action
Photo: Andy Nunn

Minutes later Dean Lodge dragged the ball back and found Carl Wilson-Denis. He turned and shot only for Tolfrey to be equal to the task. More pressure from Ks saw a long throw in from Gray find Des Boateng but his 30-yard drive was tipped over by Tolfrey. Up came Gray for the corner and he found Huckle who headed in for the opener.

Simon Huckle heads in the first goal
Photo: Andy Nunn

From the restart Lyons then picked his way through the defence and shot goalwards only to be denied by Max Hustwick, almost off the line. Ben Andrews was the next to try his luck when he headed wide with Garrard covering the post.

Up the other end Ks then scored from the counterpunch as once again Gray found a player in space and Beckford duly slotted the second goal home.

Karl Beckford heads in the second goal
Photo: Andy Nunn

With such a lively start it was inevitable that the pace would slow down and this allowed the Hornets again into the game. Lyons was once again in the action and his header was gathered in the air by Garrard.

At the other end Gray from a free kick found Huckle who shot from outside the area almost on the line only for Tolfrey to save as he dived to the left. But with the first half almost at an end Garrard was forced into a save off Pat Harding only for the ball to rebound back to Harding, who this time beat Garrard but not the goal as he kicked into the side netting.

Luke Garrard saves low
Photo: Andy Nunn

The second half began with Garrard once again under pressure when he saved a headed ball from Harding. However when Lodge on one of his runs was bought down in front of the main stand by Anthony Acheampong, the free kick found Traynor but his shot went wide.

Still the visitors pushed and from 30 yards out Harding kicked over the bar. But it could have easily been three within minutes as the hour mark approached when Wilson-Denis headed well on the left only for Tolfrey to save from point blank range.

Carl Wilson-Denis in action
Photo: Simon Roe

The next goal did come and it was the other way as the efforts of Horsham finally paid off. A corner on the left from Lee Carney found Andrews lurking close to the goal and his header found the back of the net.

Horsham pull back a goal
Photo: Andy Nunn

The third goal did nearly come when from the restart Lodge won a corner and from it Hustwick kicked well over the bar. Minutes later Lodge repeated the same shot, just lower, when he picked up a short pass from Wilson-Denis.

Acheampong then got a belated yellow card after he fouled Wilson-Denis, having man-marked Lodge throughout. By now Kingstonian pulled Traynor back into midfield with Rob Sheridan also replacing Beckford. With minutes ticking by Christian Jolley then replaced Traynor and a low shot by Delando Smith was easily gathered by Garrard, as it deflected off Lodge.

Karl Beckford in action
Photo: Simon Roe

And in injury time Knee fell within the area as a clash between home and a defender saw the game halted for almost six minutes. Stretchered off he was taken to hospital quickly, after quick action form the stewards.

Horsham's position was misleading as they worked well to provide a good test for Kingstonian, but ultimately were undone by the home side's workmanlike efforts. Having been through a terrible start the team are increasingly looking like worthy contenders in this league.

Mon 21st Sep 2009
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Premier
Huckle, Beckford
1Luke Garrard
2Matt GrayCautioned
3Lee Hall
4Max HustwickCautioned
5John Fletcher
6Simon Huckle
7Dean Lodge12
8Des BoatengCautioned16
9Bobby Traynor
10Carl Wilson-Denis
11Karl Beckford14
12Francis Duku7
14Rob Sheridan11
15Lewis Cook
16Christian Jolley8
17Ashlee Jones
Match Report By
Michael Underwood