[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Metropolitan Police 0-1 Kingstonian

A solitary goal just after the hour lit up a drab cup match on a drab afternoon as a potential banana skin was avoided to lower league opposition in a derby at Imber Court.

Almost inevitably it was Dean Lodge who provided the inspiration as he ran up the left wing before crossing into Carl Wilson-Denis. The goalward shot was saved by Mo Maan but unable to hold onto it, Bobby Traynor swooped onto the rebound and shot low into the goal.

Teammates congratulate goalscorer Bobby Traynor
Photo: Andy Nunn

Within minutes it could have been two as once again Lodge provided the left wing inspiration but in spite of Simon Huckle's pass to Traynor, Maan bravely went down and held onto the ball as Traynor teed up for the inevitable goal.

Dean Lodge in action
Photo: Andy Nunn

And in the dying minutes, the game could have gone to a Monday replay, only for a Francis Duku kick away off the line to deny Chris Sharpling in a penalty area melee.

The opening minutes saw a chance each for the hosts and then Kingstonian as first Sharpling headed wide and then Traynor tried to lob Maan at the other end.

However the pattern of the first half then soon settled into a midfield game, as neither side imposed themselves. The occasional incident punctuated this morass, notably in the 20th minute when Lodge seemed to be bought down by Steve Sutherland in the area. The referee decided to wave play on.

Steve Sutherland challenges Dean Lodge in the box
Photo: Andy Nunn

Minutes later Traynor then shot wide after Wilson-Denis found space in the area to pass to him. Huckle had collected a loose ball 15 yards out. And in the 35th minute Huckle's long shot to Wilson-Denis saw the latter denied by a good save from Maan. Huckle almost repeated this with a header of his won as he picked up a free kick from Bash Alimi.

At the other end, early substitute James Evans saw his free kick shoot over the top from 30 yards as the first half drew to an end.

Any hopes that the second half would be more entertaining with a typical blood and thunder derby and lower league side take on bigger team at home were soon disabused. A couple of shots saw Ashlee Jones, in goal from the start for the third time in a row, tip over the ball from James Greenaway from outside the area and then watch the ball loop well over the bar.

It was not until the hour mark had been reached until Ks began to exert some meaningful pressure on the Met goal area. Wilson-Denis tried to latch onto a long ball out of midfield only to see himself on the deck as Maan tried to deny him. The loose ball rolled on beyond the post as to the striker's disbelief the referee decided that no infringement had happened.

Mo Maan comes out to challenge Carl Wilson-Denis
Photo: Andy Nunn

~Carl Wilson-Denis can't believe it
Photo: Andy Nunn

From the goal kick, Lodge won the ball back out on the right and a long run up the left side saw him cross into Wilson-Denis whose shot rebounded off the palms of Maan straight to Traynor and, this time there was no argument as the ball found the back of the net. The incident a minute before consigned to history.

Dean Lodge sets up the goal
Photo: Andy Nunn

And two it nearly became as Traynor was denied by quick reactions from Maan. Only the timely intervention by the defender Rob Smith, as his attempt at clearance slowed the ball down enough for Maan to get to it.

Mo Maan saves from Bobby Traynor
Photo: Andy Nunn

A couple of attempts by the home side failed to lighten up the remaining part of the half with ex-Ks Gary Drewitt shooting across goal and then Duku clearing off the line in the dying minutes.

Francis Duku clears off the line
Photo: Andy Nunn

And in injury time Lewis Cook, who replaced Lodge minutes earlier, crossed the ball in from the left to Wilson-Denis. He found Traynor, who could only shoot well over the bar.

A game that had to be won, was won but laboured it was as Kingstonian progressed to the next round. However it also gave Jones his first clean sheet from this term.

Sat 17th Oct 2009
Imber Court
FA Trophy 1st qualifying round
Metropolitan Police0
1Ashlee Jones
2Lee Hall
3John Fletcher
4Max Hustwick
5Francis Duku
6Simon Huckle
7Bashiru Alimi
8Des Boateng
9Bobby Traynor
10Carl Wilson-Denis
11Dean Lodge12
12Lewis Cook11
14Karl Beckford
15Mo Harkin
16Joel Ledgister
17Luke Garrard
Match Report By
Michael Underwood