[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Tooting & Mitcham 2-3 Kingstonian

Two goals at the end of the first half secured a Boxing Day win for Kingstonian at Imperial Fields in spite of a late fightback by the Terrors.

A goal down in only eight minutes, the visitors, buoyed by a large festive following from just down the road, equalised within 10 minutes before the Tooting defence opened up twice before the break with two gifts to secure ultimately all three points for the opponents.

A throw in by Matt Gray on the right found Dean Lodge in the area and then rounding the static defence he centred the ball into the net with his left foot.

Dean Lodge creates a chance...
Photo: Andy Nunn

...and converts it
Photo: Andy Nunn

Then within three minutes Bobby Traynor, again from a Gray set piece, rounded the defence and shot low into the back of the net.

Earlier Lodge had crossed the ball in from the right to find Bashiru Alimi in a crowded area. He fed a short pass back to the left and Carl Wilson-Denis had no hesitation in scoring from 15 yards.

Carl Wilson-Denis strikes for goal...
Photo: Andy Nunn

...and is congratulated by his team mates
Photo: Andy Nunn

With both sides having early chances, Paul Vines shooting across Rob Tolfrey's goal and then Wilson-Denis passing behind Traynor, the game was set up for a derby laden with goals and within eight minutes Jamie Byatt provided the opener. He was the first one to pounce on the ball 10 yards out after Sam Clayton shot powerfully from the left, only for the ball to hit the far upright.

Rob Tolfrey sees Clayton's shot strike the post
Photo: Andy Nunn

He then nearly doubled the score when another loose shot within the defence found him but this time Tolfrey was able to palm it around the post. And after a poor corner, Kingstonian were able to move upfield with Lodge setting up the equaliser within two minutes as he went up the right. A cross into the area, fed back by Alimi and Wilson-Denis duly obliged.

Within four minutes Lodge took up the offer of poor defending to shoot from long range - only for the ball to miss the intended target. Then it was Max Hustwick who jumped high enough to head the ball down from Gray's long range free kick into the area, only for the post to deny him.

At the other end he then denied Simon Parker almost on his own goal line. But this only seemed to bring on the visiting Ks who rallied up the other end with a Lodge goal in the 42nd minute and then in injury time Traynor added a third. There was still time for Vines to shoot across goal in the third minute of injury time.

Bobby Traynor is fouled by his opponents...
Photo: Andy Nunn

...before picking himself up to score
Photo: Andy Nunn

The second half began quietly with only three yellow cards for Wilson-Denis, Adam Thompson and Simon Huckle respectively and a succession of substitutions. The main piece of action saw a superb save with the leg by Tolfrey deny Aaron Goode just after the hour mark.

Substitute Christian Jolley managed to create a chance as he carved out space for himself on the right but was then denied by Andrew Howell.

With the game almost finished Goode halved the deficit as he bundled over the ball in a crowded area off a free kick.

In injury time Traynor first shot over the bar and then resolute defending by Tooting saw him denied after he picked up the ball.

Kingstonian face Tooting once more for the New Year's opening fixture and will hope for a similar victory; this time at Kingsmeadow.

Sat 26th Dec 2009
Imperial Fields
Isthmian League Premier
Tooting & Mitcham2
Wilson-Denis, Lodge, Traynor
1Rob Tolfrey
2Bashiru Alimi
3Adam ThompsonCautioned
4Max Hustwick
5Francis Duku
6Simon HuckleCautioned
7Matt Gray
8Mo HarkinCautioned12
9Bobby Traynor
10Carl Wilson-DenisCautioned15
11Dean Lodge16
12Lee Hall8
14John Fletcher
15Christian Jolley10
16Lewis Cook11
17Rob Sheridan
Match Report By
Michael Underwood