[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 3-0 Hendon

Kingstonian's recent woes were blown away on Monday as they recorded only their second win in a month of seven games at home to Hendon.

After a rocky month with play-off placings looking a bit beyond the team, they blew away the visitors with three goals - the first coming after only two minutes.

Paul Vines finished off opening pressure with a low shot past James Reading in goal. A second followed just before half-time when a header into the area from Bobby Traynor from 25 yards out flummoxed everyone and carried into the far corner.

Bashiru Alimi wrapped a third at the end when he latched onto a counter-attack from sub Allan Tait.

In the end it could have been more, with the team firing on all V12 cyclinders. Even Rob Tolfrey, who was kept quiet for long periods, was there when needed.

From the whistle Ks were on the attack with a free kick blocked by a wall near the corner. From the throw-in Vines scored.

Minutes later Tom Bird's header was kicked behind for a corner kick but this came to nothing. With all this early pressure Hendon had to regain some measure of control and for several minutes they tried to close the game down with the ball in the midfield.

In the 16th minute Lee O'Leary attacked alone up the left before a tackle, from Dean Hamlin, saw him shoot wide from 10 yards out. The game then returned to a status quo as Ks dominated the midfield without troubling the final third.

Finally after almost the half-hour was up, Lodge cut in a cross from by the corner before Traynor latched onto it and shot wide from 20 yards. Then Mo Harkin was denied from 35 yards out by the palms of Reading. And again Reading kept out Traynor before Hamlin's half-way line lob nearly caught out Reading with Vines chasing up any mistake.

Finally Traynor did catch everyone out with a cross into the area from his head from Gary MacDonald's short throw in. As the ball sailed past a packed area, everyone stopped, including Reading. The ball however did not... until it hit the back of the net.

The second half began with similar pressure - but this time Reading was equal to Simon Huckle's attempt in the 49th minute. Just after the hour Alimi then headed wide from close range but under pressure.

If Hendon felt beaten out of the game - referee Ben Knight added to this with a straight red for Daniel Sintim after he bought down Lodge with a high and clumsy tackle 35 yards out on the left.

Vines was denied by poor finishing when he tried to lob the keeper . And with seven minutes left Traynor was taken off for Tait. Three minutes later, a pass forward from Hendon was cut out by him and Tait charged up the field before feeding Alimi to score.

In injury time Reading parried away Bird's free kick from 25 yards out.

If this match seemed one-sided, it was almost with few chances to the visitors. Only once was Tolfrey seemingly beaten and the shot went straight to the far upright before coming straight out with some speed.

Mon 28th Feb 2011
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Premier
Vines, Traynor, Alimi
1Rob Tolfrey
2Dean Hamlin
3Tom Bird
4Gary MacDonald
5Tom Hutchinson
6Simon Huckle12
7Bashiru Alimi
8Mo Harkin
9Bobby Traynor15
10Paul Vines
11Dean Lodge14
12Adam Thompson6
14Sam Clayton11
15Allan Tait9
16Antonio Gonnella
17Nic Taylor
Match Report By
Michael Underwood