[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 1-1 Margate

The K's progressed through to the next round of the FA Cup on penalties with the match tied at 1-1 after extra time. Rob Tolfrey, a largely redundant figure for 120 minutes, produced three high class saves in succession as Kingstonian prevailed 3-2 in the penalty shoot out. Earlier, it was the other keeper Jamie Turner who caught the eye, resplendent in gold top and shorts, as he kept Margate in the game with a man of the match performance.

Kingstonian started brightly with Lodge, starting up front with Traynor, looking particularly lively. Although Margate conceded a number of free kicks in dangerous positions around their penalty area, Kingstonian were unable to capitalise, with a shot from Bird just missing the near post the closest they came.

Having dominated the early stages with a high energy pressing game, Kingstonian fell behind in the 24th minute. Dossou conceded a free kick just outside his own area, just left of centre and 20 yards out. Wayne Wilson lifted his shot over the wall and managed to get it down just in time as it went in via the underside of the bar.

The K's started pressing again as Margate had their 3rd player booked within the first 30 minutes. Both Gray and Bird had shots well saved as Kingston trailed off as they headed to half time, but not before Margate forced their first corner of the game in the second minute of time added on with Welford heading just wide at the far post.

Although it was a half in which Kingstonian enjoyed clear territorial advantage they did not create many clear cut chances. Ostensibly playing three at the back, but with their wingbacks rarely pushing on, Margate ended up playing five in defensive line that proved hard to break down. The Margate No4 Robinson particularly stood out, demonstrating both strength in the air and good pace and judgement.

The second half started in familiar fashion to the first with the K's enjoying the lions share of possession and territory. The pressure started to build as Hall, in an impressive all round display, fired in two rasping shots in quick succession. With Bird and Hamlin pushing up even further and providing much needed width, the K's scored their equaliser in the 66th minute. Hall pounced on an awkwardly bouncing ball in the penalty area and exhibiting excellent technique volleyed low into the bottom left hand corner, giving the keeper no chance.

The K's had the momentum now and upped their work rate again sensing a winning goal was imminent. Margate remained resolute in defence although they continued to offer very little by way of threat in attack. In the 74th minute Lodge was put clean through on goal by Dossou but Turner produced an outstanding save just as it appeared Lodge had got past him.

It wasn't until the 81st minute that Margate managed their first attempt on goal in the second half, albeit it was a weak shot which Tolfrey gathered comfortably. However, after Traynor missed a header from a deep cross from Bird, it was Margate who finished the stronger, finally summoning up some attacking intent that had been absent for most of the game.

Moving into the first period of extra time an out of sorts Traynor was replaced by Dali and in an attacking move Carl Wilson-Dennis was brought on for Dossou as the K's moved to a back four with Thompson pushed into midfield. Dali ended the first half of extra time by almost squeezing a header in at the far post which was well blocked by Turner.

With Thompson making his muscular presence felt in midfield Kingstonian upped the pace of the game in the final 15 minutes, which was a testament to both their fitness and desire to win the match. Turner then produced the save of the game as Lodge reacted well to a cross and seemed bound to score with a sharp header which was acrobatically clawed away by the keeper.

Whilst it wasn't a dirty game an accumulation of bookings for Margate finally told as Welford was dismissed in the 108th minute for a foul on Thompson which earned him a second yellow card. The 10 men of Margate then held out well under further pressure for the remaining period as the tie moved to penalties.

It was a penalty shoot out of two halves as the first five were confidently converted (Thompson, Gray and Lodge for Kingstonian and Keister and Wilson for Margate) before the keepers then came into their own as nerves started to tell. First off Tolfrey saved from a nervous looking Osborne before Dali shot without conviction too close to Turner. Jay Saunders well struck attempt was then saved by Tolfrey stretching wide to his right before Turner produced an even better save to keep out Clayton's effort. Finally Tolfrey then set off wild celebrations as he battered away Ball's penalty with a strong left hand.

Mon 27th Sep 2010
Kingsmeadow Stadium
FA Cup 2nd qualifying round replay
aet - Kingstonian win 3-2 on penalties
1Rob Tolfrey
2Dean Hamlin14
3Tom Bird
4Adam Thompson
5Max Hustwick
6Tobi Jinadu
7Matt Gray
8Jean-Sylvain Dossou15
9Bobby Traynor16
10Dean Lodge
11Lee Hall
12Bashiru Alimi
14Sam Clayton2
15Carl Wilson-Denis8
16Gomez Dali9
17Nic Taylor
18Tom Duffy
19Billy Dunn
Match Report By
Peter Allan