[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 1-1 Tonbridge Angels

A series of missed chances saw both Kingstonian and Tonbridge achieve an unlikely goal-a-piece draw.

Paul Vines' 37th minute strike divided the two sides at half-time with the home side very much on top, before a wicked ricochet off the left upright saw the Angles restore parity 40 minutes later - but for so many missed chances it could have been more.

Vines' shot came after a clearance from the defence went straight to Tom Bird 45 yards out, who reacted quickly enough to hit the ball into the area and Vines was on hand to lift the ball into the net.

Minutes earlier Mo Harkin had missed from less than 15 yards out with an almost open goal, and a minute after the restart Gary MacDonald had to head off the line after defender Lewis Taylor shot through the packed Ks' area.

The visitors, who are pushing to consolidate a play-off placing, were on the attack from the start with a long clearance that was badly handled by Rob Tolfrey and MacDonald in defence. At the other end a break away by Traynor went wide as the linesman flagged for offside. Frannie Collin then shot wide as did Fraser Logan but it was the home side that began to pile up the chances.

Vines had his powerful shot blocked almost immediately before MacDonald headed past Lee Worgan in the 11th minute, only for the referee to flag up a foul on him and disallow the goal.

Jon Beales then headed away a timely Dean Lodge cross with Traynor ready to score. He did manage to get to the ball in the next real attack after Bird unlocked the defence on the left but this time the header went wide .Minutes later Worgan parried away from Lodge after a clever one-two with him to the right of the box.

Lodge was then involved with the best chance as he crossed from the left to Harkin, who went round the defence on the right before shooting wide past the near post with only Worgan to beat. Vines consigned this to history with his strike minutes later, and this time the goal stood.

A series of chances by the Angels saw them demonise the defence with MacDonald heading off the line and then Collin and Carl Rook failing to handle the ball in succession on the left and shooting tamely at Tolfrey.

The half ended with Taylor's header over his own bar with Tom Hutchinson ready to pounce. If the restart was expected to continue in this vein, the 405 crowd were to be disappointed as both sides took stock. It was Tolfrey who was in the firing line first when, in the 57th minute, his outstretched legs denied skipper Ben Judge's close-range shot.

On the hour mark Sonny Miles shot tamely at Tolfrey, with only the 'keeper to beat. Collin was then equally poor when he headed wide after Rook's cross.

Inevitably with so much going wide or straight to the keeper, Kingstonian's luck had to fail eventually and it was another shot that seemed to going wide before it clipped the inside of the far left upright and rebounded at a small angle just behind the goal line back on the right. Substitute Jake Beecroft was the scorer.

Galvanised, the home side began to pressurise the visitors' defence and midfield. Harkin's free kick from 25 yards out was just wide.

And then in the last few minutes of the game Vines shot just wide before his replacement Allan Tait saw his injury-time strike tipped over. However Kingstonian were unable to break down the defence in the end.

Sat 5th Mar 2011
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Premier
Tonbridge Angels1
1Rob Tolfrey
2Dean Hamlin
3Tom Bird
4Gary MacDonald
5Tom HutchinsonCautioned
6Adam Thompson
7Bashiru Alimi
8Mo Harkin
9Bobby Traynor
10Paul VinesCautioned12
11Dean Lodge14
12Allan Tait10
14Sam Clayton11
15Max Hustwick
16Antonio Gonnella
17Nic Taylor
Match Report By
Michael Underwood