[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 1-3 Wealdstone

Kingstonian will count themselves unlucky not to emerge from this tie with at least a point after mounting a spirited fight back in the second half having gone in at the break 2-0 down. After Paul Vines pulled a goal back in the fifty second minute an equaliser looked highly likely before Wealdstone sealed the tie with a penalty in the ninety second minute.

Having conceded freely to Wealdstone in recent times, the sight of an in form loanee Richard Jolly (10 goals in the last 6 games) was not what the Kingstonian fans wanted to see. However it was the home side that started the better. Only 90 seconds in Dean Lodge, making a surprise return to Kingsmeadow, was brought down by Parker on the edge of the area. Harkin's resulting free kick narrowly missed the left hand post as a motionless North, in the Wealdstone goal, looked on.

The two sides looked evenly matched in the opening exchanges but it was Wealdstone who took the lead in the eleventh minute. Dyer won the ball in midfield and found Brooks, whose neat turn took him past Alimi. As he ran on he hit a speculative shot from 25 yards which Tolfrey looked to have comfortably covered, but the ball appeared to bobble as it landed in front of him and nestled in the corner of the net.

The next clear chance also fell to Wealdstone as Jolly found himself one on one with Dolan from a long clearance. He laid it off to Spendlove who burst through from midfield but he mishit his shot, which passed wide of the post.

Wealdstone were now playing with confidence and extended their lead in the thirty sixth minute as Kingstonian played themselves into trouble at the back when the ball should have been cleared. As the ball was played back in it was flicked on by Jolly to Dean, who cleverly lifted it over the advancing Tolfrey into the corner of the goal.

Whatever Alan Dowson said to his team at half time certainly had the desired effect as he saw his side totally dominate the second half. Less than two minutes in a perceptive ball from Vines was well controlled by Traynor only to see his well hit shot blocked by a last ditch lunge by Massey.

It was not to be happy return for Dean Lodge as he limped off in the forty seventh minute and was replaced by Clayton, who then proceeded to make an immediate impact. He picked up a loose ball just outside his own area and retained possession well under pressure before finding Harkin. He then released Traynor down the left, who showed great determination to fire in a low cross which found Vines on the edge of the six yard line and he found the target with no mistake.

The goal completely changed the game as it was Kingstonian who played with purpose and confidence. They enjoyed a number of chances as they dominated possession. First Huckle headed over having got in front of his marker from a Bird cross and then Clayton shot straight at the keeper from 20 yards.

As Kingstonian pressed on in search of an equaliser Wealdstone served notice of their danger on the counter attack. A marauding dribble from Spendlove in the sixty fourth minute was only ended by a brilliantly timed tackle from Dolan, as the Wealdstone winger looked like he would get clean through.

Normal service was soon resumed though as Huckle came close to equalising as he headed back across goal from a Bird cross and narrowly wide. Kingstonian then forced a succession of corners before a Bird cross was flicked wide by an Alimi header as he nipped in ahead of the better placed Hustwick. Shortly afterwards Hustwick headed just wide from a Harkin free kick.

Deep into injury time Wealdstone sealed their victory as they broke at pace on a counter attack. Jolly found himself in acres of space wide on the right and played in a well weighted pass to Dyer who was caught by Adam Thompson. Whilst the infringement appeared to have taken place outside the area the referee's assistant signalled for a penalty. This was duly dispatched by Peter Dean.

This was a pulsating game that was a great advert for non league football. It was certainly a game of contrasting halves but it was Wealdstone who emerged victorious for the third time this season.

Sat 19th Feb 2011
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Premier
1Rob Tolfrey
2Max Hustwick
3Tom Bird
4Adam ThompsonCautioned
5Joe Dolan
6Simon Huckle
7Bashiru Alimi
8Mo Harkin
9Bobby Traynor
10Paul Vines
11Dean Lodge15
12Dean Hamlin
14Allan Tait
15Sam Clayton11
16Jordan Cheadle
17Nic Taylor
Match Report By
Peter Allan