[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 2-0 Aveley

Despite the euphoria created by dramatic comebacks and last minute winners, often the most satisfying results are the most comfortable. And so it was for Kingstonian against Aveley as they did all they needed to, in order to secure the 3 points. Two first half goals from, what appeared to be a resurgent, Bobby Traynor was more than enough and the second half saw Ks hold their opponents at arm's length as Aveley were barely given a sniff of goal. Such second half comfort has been in short supply for Dowson's side this season and so it much have been a relief for such a scare-free second period.

Dowse made only one change from the impressive performance against Bury as Simon Huckle returned from suspension to replace the injured Bashiru Alimi. Huckle replicated Alimi's role in front of the back four, giving freedom to Ryan Woods, Matt Pattison, Saheed Sankoh and Sam Clayton to support Traynor.

The visitors had the first chance of the game eight minutes in as Troy Powell-Quarry's powerful shot was tipped away by Rob Tolfrey, it was to be his only meaningful save of the afternoon. For the hosts, early chances fell to Traynor, Clayton and Sankoh, but their shots were all too close to Lamar Johnson in The Miller's goal. Eventually, the breakthrough came as a Clayton chased down a 24th minute long ball and lobbed it over the onrushing Johnson into the middle, Spencer Harrison's header could only find Traynor who squeezed his volley home from a tight angle.

From that point on the rest of the half saw a relentless barrage of Ks' pressure. Sankoh twice found himself in good positions and brought good saves out of Johnson, but eventually the pressure told. With just two minutes to half time, a dazzling Clayton turn gave himself room to put a cross in, and it found Traynor's head perfectly, and the striker made no mistake in placing it past Johnson and into the far corner. To all intents and purposes, the game was over.

The second half saw Woods take hold of the game, his runs from deep finding him space time and time again, forcing save after save out of Johnson as well as shaving the post on more than one occasion. The closest the visitors came to any kind of comeback was a spectacular 30 yard volley from Sam Holloway which was comfortable for Tolfrey. Traynor continued to threaten, but couldn't quite find the hat-trick securing goal, while substitute Allan Tait saw a header come back off the post and a late shot saved, but in reality it was all formalities.

A professional job done by Kingstonian, and eight more of those may seem them sneak into the playoffs.

Sat 17th Mar 2012
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Premier
Traynor (2)
1Rob Tolfrey
2Aaron Goode
3Tom Bird
4Gary MacDonald
5Ian Gayle
6Simon Huckle
7Matt Pattison16
8Ryan Woods
9Bobby Traynor
10Saheed Sankoh14
11Sam Clayton12
12Luke Wanadio11
14Allan Tait10
15Chris Page
16Louis-Rae Beadle 7
17Jake Whincup
Match Report By
Jamie Cutteridge