[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 1-2 Canvey Island
King of the Island Sinks K's

Rob King's 82nd minute goal gave Canvey Island a 2-1 win at Kingsmeadow on Saturday afternoon, condemning K's to their second successive home defeat, despite taking the lead early on.

The hosts created the first real chance of the game, in the eleventh minute, as a cross from Tom Bird was met by Simon Huckle, but Huckle couldn't direct his header goalward, under pressure from a defender. Just one minute later, however, the K's went 1-0 up thanks to an excellent strike from Bobby Traynor. Michael Gordon's tricky feet just inside the box allowed him to get a cross in, which was only partially cleared and fell to Traynor on the edge of the D. Traynor took one touch and struck cleanly into the bottom right hand corner of the goal, unphased by the onrushing defenders.

In the sixteenth minute, former K's frontman Antonio Gonnella got the better of Bird and played the ball inside to Dean Heale, who took the ball past Gary MacDonald and shot at goal, producing a good high save from Rob Tolfrey. He could only parry, however, which allowed Alex Rhodes to stroke the ball home, but, fortunately for Kingstonian, Rhodes was given offside by the referee's assistant and the goal did not stand. Roles were reversed only a minute later though, this time Kingstonian having a goal disallowed for offside. Bobby Traynor pulled away from the defender to meet a perfectly weighted cross from Jerome Maledon and glanced the ball past the keeper's outstretched right hand, but the flag was straight up and the goal wiped.

Twenty minutes had passed when Gonnella played a through ball to Ashley Dumas, who had charged up from left back, who drilled his shot early, across the goal from the left-hand side of the box, but Tolfrey did well to gather cleanly amongst a congested penalty area.

As the half progressed, Kingstonian appeared to have a real purpose to their play, immediately looking to push forward every time they got the ball, playing some nice football and finding space well. They exploited the wings well, often looking to play the ball wide and get some crosses into the box. As the half hour mark approached, Gary Macdonald almost doubled K's lead, but his shot from the edge of the box trickled just wide of the post.

Five minutes later, Gonnella looked to be in for Canvey, but Bird defended well, getting himself between the player and the ball and denied Gonnella a clear one-on-one opportunity.

Canvey Island were level on the 37th minute, as Alex Rhodes got the better of Dean Hamlin after a cross-field ball, to fashion a clear run at goal. Rhodes exploited the space well with a sudden acceleration and drilled the ball into the bottom right-hand corner of the net, giving Rob Tolfrey no chance. Hamlin would have been disappointed with his defending, but it was a good goal nonetheless.

In the eight minutes that followed up until half time, Canvey Island looked dangerous, dominating possession and producing a further three shots on goal, one of which prompted a superb leaping save from Rob Tolfrey, as he tipped a powerful volley, from only eight yards out, over the top of the bar.

Eight minutes into the second half, Jerome Maledon played the ball to Sam Clayton who blasted a shot high over the bar for from thirty yards out, when perhaps the better option was to play the ball into the channel for Bird, who had made a good run up from left back. Clayton learned his lesson quickly though, as only two minutes later he received the ball again and this time did play the ball to Bird. Bird ran the ball down the wing and put in a testing cross, winning a corner. Selley managed a header on goal from that corner, but the lack of power meant it was an easy save for James Russell in the Canvey Island goal.

Canvey looked to have worked an opening just before the hour mark, but an excellent last-ditch tackle from Gary Macdonald prevented the opportunity for a shot at goal.

In the 62nd minute, Tom Bird burst down the wing and put in a fantastic cross, but Huckle could only manage to head wide, from what was a tricky chance. Bird was playing very well, often attacking a crossing effectively from left-back and was involved again in the 64th minute, putting in a decent delivery, allowing Huckle to head powerfully under pressure. Unfortunately, it was straight at the goalkeeper who saved comfortably.

Dowson then made his first substitution of the game, replacing Michael Gordon with Paul Olima, who offered more of a physical presence. The very next attack, Olima found Bird again in an attacking position on the left-hand side, but this time his cross let him down and the keeper collected easily.

It was the 73rd minute in which Canvey Island got their second, after Ian Selley was dispossessed just inside Canvey's half by Alex Rhodes. Both Kingstonian's, full backs were caught high up the pitch and Canvey Island broke on K's rapidly, with Rhodes carrying the ball forward and attacking the defenders, before sliding the ball to Dean Heale, who hit his shot across Tolfrey only for it to hit the right-hand post. Danger was not averted, however, as the ball rebounded back into play and was recovered by Heale who clipped a ball across the box for Rob King to head into an empty net.

Jack MacLeod came on for Ian Selley in the 80th minute and was involved straight away after a ball was played over the top of the defence. MacLeod flicked the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper, only for the ball to go just past the post.

After a nice passing move by Canvey Island in the 82nd minute, King had a shot from the edge of the box, producing a good save from Tolfrey, as he got a strong right hand low down to the ball.

The last chance for K's came in the 91st minute, after Olima was fouled by Michael Alaile going up for a header. Bird took it quickly and found a charging Huckle - for the fourth time in the match - who put a free header just wide of the post.

The Kingstonian team will be disappointed with their performance. Apart from the goal, they did not truly trouble the Canvey goalkeeper, who only had three relatively straightforward saves to make in the match. Canvey did not play much better, but forced a number of high quality saves from Tolfrey, which is where they had the edge and ultimately why they ran out 2-1 winners.

Sat 27th Aug 2011
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Premier
Canvey Island2
1Rob Tolfrey
2Dean Hamlin
3Tom Bird
4Tom HutchinsonCautioned
5Gary MacDonald
6Ian Selley14
7Jerome Maledon12
8Simon HuckleCautioned
9Bobby Traynor
10Michael Gordon15
11Sam Clayton
12Bashiru Alimi7
14Jack MacLeod6
15Paul Olima10
16Lynvall Duncan
17Jake Whincup
Match Report By
Sam Bryant