[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 1-0 Harrow Borough

Needing a goal to break down a resilient Harrow Borough defence, Alan Dowson brought Bobby Traynor into the fray on 65 minutes having surprisingly left the striker on the bench. However, it was not Traynor who secured the breakthrough but the man who is K's unlikely top scorer from open play this season - centre-back Gary MacDonald, introduced at the same time after an injury to Aaron Goode.

The penalty spot has been Traynor's only source of goals in Ks' last 15 league games, yet those who played in his stead looked no more likely to score than he has recently. It was a tight game between two sides who showed greater organisation than they did quality or creativity - one goal was always likely to be sufficient to win it.

The first half saw little goalmouth action and the second even less but in injury time the sheer weight of numbers in the Harrow Borough box allowed Ks to make the latest of breakthroughs. It is the third time in his relatively short Ks career that MacDonald has waited for time added on by the referee before securing a winner.

Goode headed wide for Ks in just the second minute before Evandro Delgado pulled an effort the wrong side of Rob Tolfrey's near post. Simon Huckle headed over and it wasn't until the 23rd minute that either goalkeeper had a significant save to make, Tolfrey beating out a Garry Jones free kick that was powered straight at him.

Two good chances came Ks' way shortly before half time but Borough 'keeper Will Viner was equal to both of them. The first saw Fola Orilonishe hold Aryantak Tajbaksh off to get to the byline; his low cross was cleared only to Huckle on the edge of the box but Viner used his legs to repel the powerful low shot. A minute later he made an even better save, tipping a Tom Hutchinson header over the bar after a fine Sam Clayton cross.

Those crosses aside though, Clayton and Orilonishe had quiet games on the wings and the match drifted for much of the second half without either side looking like unlocking the other. It was not until the 74th minute that Ks would again come close, nine minutes after the introduction of Traynor and MacDonald. It was the latter who nearly scored, rising highest for a corner in trademark fashion, but with Viner beaten Lee Wootton headed off the line.

Danny Buckle came close with a late free kick but Ks threw men forward at the end and were eventually rewarded. Bashiru Alimi should have secured the points from Tom Bird's cross, but elected to loop his close-range header rather than power it. It cleared Viner's leap but refused to dip under the crossbar, cannoning back to the visitors' relief.

The ball came back into the box one more time though and Ks made excellent use of their aerial presence by winning three consecutive headers. Stuart Duff got his head to it first and it was flicked on by both Ian Gayle and Hutchinson before falling to MacDonald, unmarked around eight yards out. He made no mistake in burying a fierce left-footed shot to give Ks three points.

Sat 7th Jan 2012
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Premier
Harrow Borough0
1Rob Tolfrey
2Chris Page
3Tom Bird
4Aaron Goode15
5Tom Hutchinson
6Simon Huckle
7Sam Clayton14
8Bashiru Alimi
9Stuart Duff
10Matt Pattison12
11Fola Orilonishe
12Bobby Traynor10
14Ian Gayle7
15Gary MacDonald4
16Jason Henry
17Jake Whincup
Match Report By
Simon Grier