[personalise the site]   [search the site]

Welcome to K's Web - home of the Kingstonian archives
The official club website can be found at


Kingstonian 2-1 Metropolitan Police

Allan Tait may not be as hallowed in Kingstonian lore as others who have scored more goals in front of the terrace at the Kingston Road End, but for a day he was as important as any of them. One final goal before the terrace's demolition. One final celebration, one final embrace, one final ecstatic reaction to a late Ks winner among long-standing friends. One final memory.

The terrace stood for 23 years. Each Ks fan will have their own first memory of it, mine a David Harlow lob that seemed to hang in the dark night sky for an eternity before nestling in the back of the Grays Athletic net. It was probably only from 20 yards, but to my nine-year old eyes he may as well have kicked it from the Moon.

Vines, Ndah, Wingfield, Akuamoah, Leworthy, Simba, Pitcher, Luckett and Holligan. The Kingston Road End stood for less than a fifth of Ks' history, but it witnessed some of their greatest players during their greatest times.

Alan Dowson lamented its loss after the game, and even in the recent, post-Khosla era for Ks, it has had a knack of producing memories. Mazin Ahmad direct from a corner. Tommy Williams' brutal finish to secure the league title. Within six months of each other, Bobby Traynor and Bashiru Alimi sinking Sutton United with last-minute winners.

Dean Lodge's single-handed demolition of Braintree in the FA Cup, the fracas with Garry Haylock a round later, Paul Vines trying to rip the net off its hinges, Tony Reid posing like Eric Cantona, and countless nicknames for goalkeepers, Traynor penalties, Lodge tumbles (usually in combination), songs for the players, songs for the ref, songs for Sutton, pointless debates and the unbridled joy of celebrating goals on a football terrace.

And in the 87th minute, with Tait bearing down on goalkeeper Jamie Butler with the score at 1-1, there was time yet for one last memory. Butler blocked his shot but it spun free, and after taking a moment to compose himself, Tait rolled into the empty net. One final win for Ks.

It might not have taken such a late intervention, but then that would have somehow been less fitting for the day. Ks dominated the first half, and after Saheed Sankoh headed wide early on, Tait gave them the lead with one of the better strikes that the Athletics End will witness. Ryan Woods found Matt Pattison who headed to Tait. He controlled the ball with his thigh before, still on the run, volleying through Butler's legs.

Butler would save well from Aaron Goode before half-time and Tait came close from a Pattison cross but the Blues were an improved side after the break. Elliot Taylor and Eddie Smith came close, while Rob Tolfrey saved a Jake Gallagher effort. In the end, the equaliser came in fortunate circumstances, when Goode turned a Jack MacLeod cross past Tolfrey.

Tolfrey did well to keep the scores level, saving from Staforde Palmer, which set the stage for Tait. It was Traynor who played him in with a fine through ball, which he converted at the second time of asking.

Points-wise, it meant little to either side, deciding a game between two clubs already consigned to mid-table; indeed Ks rested three players ahead of Thursday's London Senior Cup tie. Emotionally, it meant everything to the Ks fans behind the goal.

Mon 9th Apr 2012
Kingsmeadow Stadium
Isthmian League Premier
Tait (2)
Metropolitan Police1
1Rob Tolfrey
2Luke Wanadio
3Chris PageCautioned
4Aaron GoodeCautioned
5Tom Hutchinson
6Ian Gayle
7Ryan Woods
8Matt Pattison
9Allan Tait
10Saheed Sankoh15
11Louis-Rae Beadle16
12Gary MacDonald
14Alan Bray
15Bobby Traynor10
16Sam Clayton11
17Jake Whincup
Match Report By
Simon Grier